• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting through to Quoddy

naaaaate

Reaction score
I hadn't checked out Quoddy until this thread and jesus christ those grizzly boots are the perfect shoe imaginable for me! I might pull the trigger despite the huge wait and they'd be here by boot wearin weather...

juuceman

Reaction score
Their customer service leaves something to be desired. I ordered a pair of the Grizzly Moccasin Boots on 12/17/07 and was not initially notified of a lag time. I called them after placing the order, requested a rush, and was informed that they were running on a six week backlog. On 1/6/08 I received an email notification confirming my order and notifying me of a ship date of 1/24/08. When I'd heard nothing from them I emailed on 1/31 requesting an update. No response. Nothing for weeks. I called them several times and left messages, but received no response to my calls. Finally in early late February I reached someone who told me that they'd fired their customer service representative and that my shoes were being sewn by someone and would be shipped out in the next few days. On March 10 the boots were shipped.

They're doing a significant amount of wholesale work these days and they don't have the capacity to serve it and their individual orders.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juuceman
They're doing a significant amount of wholesale work these days and they don't have the capacity to serve it and their individual orders.
This is partly why Alden no longer advertises or encourages it's single make-up program anymore.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I feel very lucky. I ordered through O'Connell's and got the boat shoe with the camp sole in my size, and it came in today. And these things are amazing. So, order through O'Connell's, and call if you have to, but be polite. The clerk on the phone said that they have sizes left, but that they're going fast. One thing is that the brown in the shoe is a little darker than I imagined; O'Connell's sells the brown, not the 'peanut grizzly' that probably gives a lighter brown color, but I think this is the Chromexcel that is weatherproof. I also got them with the camp sole since I'd like to wear brown ones year-round and will buy blue Sperry's with a white sole if I want something more outrageous for summer.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and you take your Sperry size, as everyone has said. I tried on the 11's in Sperry and thought they were a hair tight, and the Quoddy's fit just a little looser than that. The quality on these shoes seems out of this world and I'm happy to have gotten a pair right as they're getting more popular, because you never know what popularity does to craftsmanship.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Well, I feel very lucky. I ordered through O'Connell's and got the boat shoe with the camp sole in my size, and it came in today. And these things are amazing. So, order through O'Connell's, and call if you have to, but be polite. The clerk on the phone said that they have sizes left, but that they're going fast. One thing is that the brown in the shoe is a little darker than I imagined; O'Connell's sells the brown, not the 'peanut grizzly' that probably gives a lighter brown color, but I think this is the Chromexcel that is weatherproof. I also got them with the camp sole since I'd like to wear brown ones year-round and will buy blue Sperry's with a white sole if I want something more outrageous for summer.
When I was in O'Connells a month ago, they told me they have a hard time keeping the quoddys in full stock due to all the internet orders. I think they carry the darker chromexcel and the "cinnamon" which is sort of a lighter pebbly leather.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the darker chromexcel then. I think I'm happier actually; I know these will develop their own sun-stained and city-dilettante patina and that's going to be much cooler than having the already lighter leather. That's cool that you've been to O'Connells. I never thought I'd be internet-ordering a pair of $125 boat shoes from a mom-and-pop store in Buffalo, NY. It seems like they have some cool suits. And how can you not want one of their house-line dress shirts.

tyates

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered anything custom from Quoddy? I placed an order for some shoes in a custom color. They said they can complete the order in 4-6 weeks but I don't think they realized that the color I wanted (they didn't charge me extra so I'm guessing they missed it). It's really hard to communicate with them or I guess everyone knows that already given the topic of this thread.

bsyde82

Reaction score
update: so i finally got thru to them on the phone. i ordered on 2/18, got a notice and said it would ship april 7, and now they say it's still waiting to be delivered to the hand sewer - might be ready in a week...

i understand they're severely overworked at this point due to the increased popularity of quoddy...but those who wanna order from quoddy, i would definitely expect AT LEAST a 3 month wait...and this is assuming i actually get my shoes within a week and half or so

pruppert

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of blucher's online from Quoddy on January 30th. I switched that order to boat shoes a week or two later, expecting them to get here for the warm California summer. Meanwhile, I messaged back and forth, and kept being told they were going to be shipped, that they were swamped with orders. They finally shipped them on the 30th of June.

Needless to say, i feel a bit frustrated.

Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen with Moscot. I ordered two pairs of frames from them, and they seem to be on perpetual backorder. One comes off backorder, the other goes on.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody know where else to get the Grizzly boots?

Ag229487

Reaction score
Anyone have a pair of the Chukkas or Tracker boots and have other pics besides the ones on the website, I'm considering ordering a pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads