• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting the right fit on dress shirts

lightng

Reaction score
So to start off, i don't have an average male build, so to speak. I workout and thus my chest sort of puffs out in relation to my stomach. As you'd imagine, this causes a whole whack of headaches when it comes to finding the right fitting shirt..

Heres the problem.

1. If I find a shirt that fits at the waist/midsection, the shirt gets super tight in the chest area
2. If i find a shirt that fits well on my chest, it ends up being too wide for my midsection.

Should I just find a slim/tailored fit shirt that can fit my chest, then tailor the midsection? have people ever done this before? because I haven't

atoms

Reaction score
Should I just find a slim/tailored fit shirt that can fit my chest, then tailor the midsection? have people ever done this before?
That doesn't seem too unreasonable. However before you try that, make sure you visit your tailor of choice and get their opinion on the matter (perhaps bring in a couple of your best fitting shirts). For example, some offer MTM shirts for the same price that your OTR shirt + alterations would cost you.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on how severe the "drop" is (i.e. the difference between your chest and waist measurements. You can have your shirts darted by a tailor (at a reasonable cost usually). You can dart them yourself if you have a modicum of skill.

I just have my shirts tailored. I've gotten used to it. Ultimately you'll be happier this way. However, if you're patient and try a variety of labels, you may find a slim or tailored fit shirt that fits off of the rack.

Best of luck. Let us know how you do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads