• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting tattooed for the first time. what lotion is the best what else should i know?

robbz9206

Reaction score
Yep.

best lotion?

anything to know beforehand?

thanks.

boo

Reaction score
Probably nothing here that you haven't already seen:

I used A&D for about a week, once in the morning and once at night. Make sure you apply just a thin layer. If you see puddles forming as the A&D melts from your body heat, you're putting too much. It might have a tendency to draw out the ink. After the week, I switched to Lubriderm Sensitive (fragrance free) lotion. It's relatively pricey, but it doesn't leave the greasy feel that a lot of cheaper lotions do. As it heals (about 3-4 days later), it will start itching. Mine itched for about a month. Slapping it and reapplying lotion throughout the day helped.

I have an appointment for a bigger piece in a couple weeks and I'm pretty excited.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The artist should be able to answer any tat question.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aquaphor (sp?) was the best lotion I used. Less is more when applying. If it starts to dry up on you, put some more on, but you definitely don't want to use too much.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
The artist should be able to answer any tat question.

Yup. Just ask him (or her) what he recommends.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine recommends unscented Lubriderm.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
My tattoo artist also recommended Aquaphor. Pick it up at CVS for like 8 bucks.

Inficius

Reaction score
Aquaphor is good. I don't have any tattoos, but I know in general that it's an excellent moisturizer. Just remember, though, that it does get greasy after applying, so only use a very little bit.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're dead set on getting a permanent ink mark on your body?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you say "tattoo", are you speaking metaphorically?
'Cause it would make a difference.

paulvarjak

Reaction score
Your artist will give you instructions about when and how to wash it, what kind of lotion to use, etc., especially if this is your first one. If he tells you to use a lotion you can't find, though, I've got 6 tattoos and unscented Lubriderm has always worked perfectly for me.

If you follow washing and lotion directions and are careful, healing is a pretty fool-proof process. Just treat it like you would a scab. Keep it clean, let it breathe, don't pick at it, etc. Good luck! Which part of your body are you getting inked?

paulvarjak

Reaction score
Shouldn't be too bad then, pain-wise. I've got one on each arm there and they were my least painful, actually. And it's an easy spot to reach for cleaning. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads