• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Getting tattooed for the first time. what lotion is the best what else should i know?

robbz9206

Reaction score
Yep.

best lotion?

anything to know beforehand?

thanks.

boo

Reaction score
Probably nothing here that you haven't already seen:

I used A&D for about a week, once in the morning and once at night. Make sure you apply just a thin layer. If you see puddles forming as the A&D melts from your body heat, you're putting too much. It might have a tendency to draw out the ink. After the week, I switched to Lubriderm Sensitive (fragrance free) lotion. It's relatively pricey, but it doesn't leave the greasy feel that a lot of cheaper lotions do. As it heals (about 3-4 days later), it will start itching. Mine itched for about a month. Slapping it and reapplying lotion throughout the day helped.

I have an appointment for a bigger piece in a couple weeks and I'm pretty excited.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The artist should be able to answer any tat question.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
The artist should be able to answer any tat question.

Yup. Just ask him (or her) what he recommends.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine recommends unscented Lubriderm.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
My tattoo artist also recommended Aquaphor. Pick it up at CVS for like 8 bucks.

Inficius

Reaction score
Aquaphor is good. I don't have any tattoos, but I know in general that it's an excellent moisturizer. Just remember, though, that it does get greasy after applying, so only use a very little bit.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're dead set on getting a permanent ink mark on your body?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you say "tattoo", are you speaking metaphorically?
'Cause it would make a difference.

paulvarjak

Reaction score
Your artist will give you instructions about when and how to wash it, what kind of lotion to use, etc., especially if this is your first one. If he tells you to use a lotion you can't find, though, I've got 6 tattoos and unscented Lubriderm has always worked perfectly for me.

If you follow washing and lotion directions and are careful, healing is a pretty fool-proof process. Just treat it like you would a scab. Keep it clean, let it breathe, don't pick at it, etc. Good luck! Which part of your body are you getting inked?

paulvarjak

Reaction score
Shouldn't be too bad then, pain-wise. I've got one on each arm there and they were my least painful, actually. And it's an easy spot to reach for cleaning. Good luck!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.