• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting suit made - need help with trouser width

ChazzR

Reaction score
I went to Mr. Ned this Saturday. It seems like a pretty good setup. I wore a suit that I like from LS. When they measured me for trousers at Mr Ned, they told me that the bottom of my LS trousers might be a bit narrow; the cuff measures about 8 3/8 inches across. I wear a 10 shoe and am getting flat front trousers and a 2 button jacket. I'm pretty thin - 39/40 jacket, 6 feet, 155 pounds. I thought that the width looked good, but I'm wondering what people think - I don't want the things looking like tights, but I've always thought that some Brooks suit trousers look way too wide, which is why I asked Izzy at LS to give me the narrower of the 2 options that he offers. Thanks for any input.

ChazzR

Reaction score
chorse123,
They suggested about 1/2 inch wider.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
See if this helps:
FBM.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all about personal preference. I like a full cut pleated trouser with a high rise(waist) because they have a superior drape. Other people like their trousers cut like jeans.

ChazzR

Reaction score
Tiger,
Do you like the look of the trousers in the shot you posted? I'm guessing it's you, but just want to check. I don't think that mine are quite that narrow actually.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChazzR
Tiger,
Do you like the look of the trousers in the shot you posted? I'm guessing it's you, but just want to check. I don't think that mine are quite that narrow actually.

Hah! I may aspire to that dude's taste (and his tailor), but he's a recent Sartorialist subject, not me. IIRC, Mr. Ned's house style is fairly conservative American. If you're getting a suit that's cut trim and you wear shoes that are worth showing off, then narrow trousers complete the look. This will make people notice you. It is purposefully tweaking the classic proportions of a suit to make a very deliberate statement. You are taking this seriously enough that you will choose what look you want to convey.

Tom

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
chazzr, assuming that you are going for a bit more slim fit than the traditional American look, I would actually have the pants cut slimmer than even what you have now. You are a slim guy and I think you could easily pull off a 16" leg. It will take some time to get used to but once you do and you see how good it makes your shoes and outfit look, you'll love it.

edit: I've gptten suits made at Mr. Ned and they cut a Brooks-type of trouser.

montmorency

Reaction score
I had the same type of discussion at Mr. Ned's when I ordered suits there. They have a bias towards the traditional, which includes pants that are wider than I prefer. In the end, they made my suit pants wider than what I was promised so if you like the pants on your LS suit, I would insist that they match that measurement.

mikeber

Reaction score
The opening size is not enough. You should measure at the knees and at the hips. How tapered you prefer your slacks? If you are skinny, I an not sure that wearing tights is in your advantage. There is another factor: wider legs will allow more break at the bottom, while a narrower cut does not permit a lot of break.
Anyway, as always, trousers witdh it a matter of personal preference and comfort.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads