• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Smaller

dry the rain

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been working out a lot for the past month and a half, but I don't feel i'm getting the kind of results I want. I've been doing the weight machines at the gym as well as cardio. After I lift, I have a whey protein shake. I haven't been losing weight, but i'm pretty sure i've put on a good bit of muscle mass, which means i'm probably trimming down the fat.

I'm pro increased muscle, but I'd like to get smaller all around, especially in my legs, which tend to get big really fast. Should i drop the protein? Increase reps and lower weight for my legs? Stop doing leg weights altogether? Up the cardio?

I'd like to get smaller all around, so if anyone has any advice, I'm open to it.

Thanks!

Impulse155

Reaction score
theres a few things that can lead to you getting "Bigger".

The combination of consuming to many calories in relation to the amount of weight...
How many calories do you take in?
If you want you can cut out the protein that would prolly do alot also.
If you dont mind being more tone, try doing more reps at a lower weight.

csgrad

Reaction score
I'd try less intense leg workouts, less weight less sets.

dry the rain

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys. i suppose i should give more info.

calories per day is around 1400 or 1500 discounting alcohol (i'm in college). I go out drinking a few nights a week, and to tell the truth i'm not really sure how much a night out adds to the calorie count. that's pretty low, i realize, and it's part of what makes me think a bit of fat loss must be happening.

i always thought it was less weight/more sets just to tone. that's what i want to do. I want to be lean but i don't want to be big.

i may be fighting my genetics here. I'm at about 175 lbs now, and at my smallest i was 155 (almost two years ago). At that point i was a vegetarian and cutting calories to an unhealthy extent (like 600-900 a day). I don't want that. I was 168 around this time last year and i liked the size of my frame, but i didn't have much tone. I'm eating meat now, so i actually have protein in my diet.

i'm guessing that: I'm not going to get very small ever again without being unhealthy. so i'm just looking for ways to be healthy and lose as much bulk as i can.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say up the cardio and cut back on the weights. How much are you working out with weights? Cardio? You really need to give more details if you want help. What does your leg workout look like as far as exercises, sets, and reps? About how many drinks do you have when you go out?
How tall are you?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Running for cardio, or a lot of work for the legs might maintain your leg or thigh size.

You can always do nothing and experience atrophy

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stop lifting and just do cardio. watch your calories and you'll be a twig in no time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads