• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting sick of salespeople in retail

Rick's Tailoring

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chargersfan
So, someone has 20 or 30 min to buy something or else? Memo to self, if you're ever unfortunate enough to find yourself in Kansas City ^^^ avoid.

I believe you misunderstood me, you can browse all day and buy absolutely nothing, you just need to be pleasant, i.e. not a jerk to me for doing my job. If you come acting like a jerk, you have about 45min, then you will be completely ignored, and I suppose that is what you looking for. But we are there to help the customers, not hinder them, so we generally try not to completely ignore someone, because we generally feel that makes us look worse than if we attempt to provide service.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint

Every soul on earth (or visitors to earth) should work in sales for at least 2 years of their life as their sole source of income.

It should be mandatory, no diferent to many countries requiring their citizens to serve in the military for 2 years.

No more un-qualified or rude sales people and no more obnoxious customers.
Problem solved.
teacha.gif

+100

worship.gif

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
salespeople can't win. If they let you be, you get people complaining that they are ignored by snooty salespeople. If they approach you, they are pushy.

Originally Posted by gdl203
Idiotic rant. You get into a tizzy because people walk up to you and say hi let me know if you need help? May I suggest staying home? What is wrong is people who are completely unable to have normal interactions with humans, and yes, that includes the occasional two second chit chat.

+1

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31
As a college student, sales associate at a retail establishment, and a complete asshole, I have had no problem telling off the overly smug and contentious people like you.

There are going to be sales associates who are overly pushy, and that is when you have to establish boundaries; conversely, you will have sales associates who completely ignore you. It balances out.

As a personal story.....it was gorgeous here the other day, so I went into a number of stores. I had a woman who would not leave me alone, and had to get incredibly nasty towards her. That particular person is not a good sales associate and deserves anything that comes to them. empty.

But on to your actual rant- sales associates who greet you and offer you help. While the situations are different, when someone comes into your home, the first thing you say is hello, the second thing you say is can I get you anything? It is just polite decorum. It is no different if someone comes into your place of business, and for sales associates, that is it.

If you come in with an F.U. face on, I, and likely many others, will be an even bigger asshole to you just to prove a point. It is the same situation if a customer comes in to do a return and comes in hot over it....I am not going to give in to you whatsoever solely because you acted like a 12 year old; however, if you're nice, chances are I might be willing to play with the rules a little bit.

If someone just says hello and offers you help and his or her name and walks off, that isn't exactly impeding on you. If it is, I genuinely feel sorry for you because your life must be incredibly empty.

+100,000,000,000

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

Captain Winky

Reaction score
My usual approach when approached is to say "hi" back and immediately follow their next comment (whatever it may be) with a "Thanks, I'm just looking for now but will let yo know if I have questions." Then I go back to my blackberry acting as though I just got an email from Megan Fox telling me to meet me in the fitting room, she's just mixed me a martini and is sitting there just waiting to blow me.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
My usual approach when approached is to say "hi" back and immediately follow their next comment (whatever it may be) with a "Thanks, I'm just looking for now but will let yo know if I have questions." Then I go back to my blackberry acting as though I just got an email from Megan Fox telling me to meet me in the fitting room, she's just mixed me a martini and is sitting there just waiting to blow me.

so you put on a horrified and disgusted face?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky

You mean to say that you shop at stores that have bars in their fitting rooms?

Wow.

I never knew.

worship2.gif

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rick's Tailoring
I believe you misunderstood me, you can browse all day and buy absolutely nothing, you just need to be pleasant, i.e. not a jerk to me for doing my job. If you come acting like a jerk, you have about 45min, then you will be completely ignored, and I suppose that is what you looking for. But we are there to help the customers, not hinder them, so we generally try not to completely ignore someone, because we generally feel that makes us look worse than if we attempt to provide service.

That's not really the way you phrased it at first. I know for myself that if I decide to go shopping for a new jacket or pants (whatever) I will usually hit a few stores just to see what's out there. I think most men are not impulse buyers like women tend to be. Just because someone comes in your store and leaves now, does not mean that they are not a future buyer a week from now. But hey, its your store...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see this stuff happen alot where bent out of shape people go shopping and get mad at everyone who speaks to them.

I think it's some sort of pent up rage problem, maybe they can't take it out on their boss or their kids without having some sort of serious backlash, but they sure as hell can take it out on the salesperson that kindly asks them if they need help.

The same kind of person who kicks their dog when no one is looking I assume.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chargersfan
That's not really the way you phrased it at first. I know for myself that if I decide to go shopping for a new jacket or pants (whatever) I will usually hit a few stores just to see what's out there. I think most men are not impulse buyers like women tend to be. Just because someone comes in your store and leaves now, does not mean that they are not a future buyer a week from now. But hey, its your store...
+1. Usually when I shop, I rarely purchase an item right away. I usually visit a few stores to see what's available before deciding to make a purchase. Most of my purchases are made on the second visit, not the first.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
+1. Usually when I shop, I rarely purchase an item right away. I usually visit a few stores to see what's available before deciding to make a purchase. Most of my purchases are made on the second visit, not the first.

Ditto.

A-Mart

Reaction score
Honestly, the only store i've had this problem in was Sak's. I was in one today, wearing athletic clothes, as I was shopping other places as well and find these clothes to be the most comfortable. I walked into the Sak's and was lookign at some Robert Graham shirts and was approached by a salesperson who started telling me the Robert Graham's might be too expensive for me. Not exactly the 'right' thing to say to someone with a piece of plastic in their pocket, now is it. She left, and two minutes later I was approached by another sales lady while looking at Hugo Boss dress shirts. Then I went over to the sale rack, where I was approached again by the same one as the boss shirts. Then I went to look at sunglasses, where I was approached yet again by the same sales person. It got quite annoying, but she was nice so it didn't bother me too much.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
most SAs have no interest in selling or training in it. this is how I greet a customer and have yet to find a better way. "welcome to brooks brothers, my name is Matt. What brought you in today?" and other variations of the sort. you cant just say yes or no and i know what you need and how bad you need it. I also know if i need to divest more time to assist you than other customers browsing the store. For someone who actually loves sales like I do there is nothing more satisfying helping someone get what they were looking for at the price they wanted quickly and efficiently.. then again there is a dark satisfaction i get from bothering the **** out of assholes that have no class or knowledge of common manners.
Wow, that's really unfortunate. Usually, I like the SAs to leave me alone unless I've any questions. The simple question of if I need help is the best because I can answer it with a straightforward yes or no. It could be a personality thing, but I'm usually quite reticent, and I'm not going to have a conversation with you on what brought me into the store. No offense, I'd just smile, nod, and either walk on or walk out. *shrug*

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm always nice to salespeople and have actually gotten extra discounts from them after purchasing items.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Wow, that's really unfortunate.

Usually, I like the SAs to leave me alone unless I've any questions.

The simple question of if I need help is the best because I can answer it with a straightforward yes or no.

It could be a personality thing, but I'm usually quite reticent, and I'm not going to have a conversation with you on what brought me into the store. No offense, I'd just smile, nod, and either walk on or walk out.

*shrug*

For the most part, it is a sales associates job to greet you and see if you need help. How they do so is arbitrary and insignificant, as it is typically a way to build trust and start a conversation.

The fact that you can't have a simple and polite conversation with a sales associate is embarrassing. I can't imagine not talking to someone just because of what their job is. You know that you aren't going to get suckered into buying anything, so why not be polite and humor their brief, minute-long or less conversation? Here's a good example:

"Welcome to Brooks Brothers, what brings you in Today?"
"I'm just browsing today, thank you."
"Okay well my name is Mark (or whatever), let me know if you need any help."

This conversation is expected upon entering any kind of business that has customer service, and you should be able to preform such a basic response at the very least, despite your reticent temperament.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads