Getting sick of salespeople in retail

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by razl, Jul 6, 2010.

1. landshark

landshark Senior member

I went to Brooks Brothers this past weekend to check out the sale. When I walked in one sales guy offered to help. I said I was browsing. He told me his name if I needed help. A couple of minutes later another guy came over while I was looking at ties. I asked where are your narrower ties and he said they were mixed in with the regular width ties. Then he went around the table pointing out every narrower tie. I thanked him and he went away. A few minutes later I was looking at shirts. Another sales guy came over and made multiple (five or six) trips to the back fetching shirts for me in my size. Then I go looking for shoe trees and the third sales guy showed me where they were. The second sales guy confronted the third sales guy insisting that I was his customer. I'm standing in the middle of an argument and they're both looking at me like I should tell the other to go away. In the end, I bought the shirts and the guy (third sales guy) who helped me find my size got the sale. Seemed fair to me but the whole thing was uncomfortable.

I have to agree, I would never confront someone about whose customer it is. Especially in front of the customer.

2. Macallan9

Macallan9 Senior member

I'm an SA in a department store, and most of the customers that come in are friendly and all. Occaisionally though, there is a customer who comes in and mutters my least favorite words in the English language. "Just browsing, thanks." What this means is that they are going to go through tables and displays, generally leaving my area (men's suits) in disarray and then wander off and give someone else the sale. Yes, I'll admit that there are indeed bad SA's but there are also terrifically bad customers. I understand that some of you guys are upset with overbearing SA's who are constantly trying to chat you up, but there are some who are surprised that they are being followed through the store? Yes, we are going to follow you, we are going to talk to you and find out if you need anything, you came in to our work, you're touching our products (which we probably carefully arranged), and you should learn not to be rude to us, otherwise we won't mention the fact that we're having a sale in a week and that we'd be happy to put a few items aside to save you a few dollars.

In short, you bitches need to be more polite, you're in our house now.

On the other hand, if you irritate us you don't get paid, and if you don't tell us about the sales you don't get paid. I'm not quite sure who is more adversely affected....

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I'm an SA in a department store, and most of the customers that come in are friendly and all. Occaisionally though, there is a customer who comes in and mutters my least favorite words in the English language. "Just browsing, thanks." What this means is that they are going to go through tables and displays, generally leaving my area (men's suits) in disarray and then wander off and give someone else the sale. Yes, I'll admit that there are indeed bad SA's but there are also terrifically bad customers. I understand that some of you guys are upset with overbearing SA's who are constantly trying to chat you up, but there are some who are surprised that they are being followed through the store? Yes, we are going to follow you, we are going to talk to you and find out if you need anything, you came in to our work, you're touching our products (which we probably carefully arranged), and you should learn not to be rude to us, otherwise we won't mention the fact that we're having a sale in a week and that we'd be happy to put a few items aside to save you a few dollars.

this kind of attitude aint going to get you anywhere son

i mean, it's one thing to have a pet peeve or an occasional rant, it's all normal. but to be like what you say above? hope youre kidding.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Sounds like a house that I won't visit. Seriously, I do my best to be respectful at all times which includes to be sure not to mess up things as I browse, and to make purchases from the SA who approaches me first. However, I want to shop on my own, without assistance, unless I ask for it. Stores where SAs hover over me lose my business.

5. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

That's why I shop online.

6. asdf

asdf Senior member

Sounds like a house that I won't visit. Seriously, I do my best to be respectful at all times which includes to be sure not to mess up things as I browse, and to make purchases from the SA who approaches me first. However, I want to shop on my own, without assistance, unless I ask for it. Stores where SAs hover over me lose my business.

That's why I shop online.

+1

7. Rick's Tailoring

Rick's Tailoring Affiliate Vendor

As a 3rd generation saleman/owner/operator of a mens store, its our duty to say hello to everyone who walks in the door. You can say, "just browsing" and I'll let you browse for 15 min. or so and come back, "need any help finding sizes?", "no just browsing". another 20 min, and I'll ask again. Even if the person again replies, "just browsing" I will strike up a conversation and figure if the customer wants something that i can find, or if not, maybe he should be on his way. My business is to sell clothes. And I pretty sure we have a fantastic reputation as a low pressure shop. We're discount so were not stuffy, although we carries some clothing that belongs in stuffy shops. Basically what I'm saying is clothing stores are not libraries, you can look around for a good 30min. But if I spend 30min. watching you shop and trying to be of assistance, that's 30 min. I'm not straightening, pressing, sewing, or cleaning. If you dart out the door without saying "goodbye", while I'm attending to someone else, you will be remembered as an a**hole, and will probably get less service if and when you come back. Now remember our store is small, and you will always see me or my father there, so maybe it has a friendlier vibe than larger stores, but we are here to sell clothing, not watch you shop.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^^ It's unbelievable that some people don't understand these basic concepts of proper, polite behaviour and interactions with others. Must have something to do with people growing up with the anonymity of the internet ?

9. Rick's Tailoring

Rick's Tailoring Affiliate Vendor

^^ It's unbelievable that some people don't understand these basic concepts of proper, polite behaviour and interactions with others. Must have something to do with people growing up with the anonymity of the internet ?

I will admit I give younger guys a bit of a break on men's store culture...(i.e. hello, goodbye) In Kansas City there are very few left. There used to be one on every corner. And if your 20-25, you may have never actually been to a true menswear store, or even bought a proper suit that actually fits correctly. It is, and should be a more personal service than large department stores, therefore the customer should be more personal as well.

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i love it when a sales guy comes up to me and starts a conversation about anything. i love it. that is how i know so many people working at south coast plaza.

11. Chargersfan

Chargersfan Senior member

As a 3rd generation saleman/owner/operator of a mens store, its our duty to say hello to everyone who walks in the door. You can say, "just browsing" and I'll let you browse for 15 min. or so and come back, "need any help finding sizes?", "no just browsing". another 20 min, and I'll ask again. Even if the person again replies, "just browsing" I will strike up a conversation and figure if the customer wants something that i can find, or if not, maybe he should be on his way. My business is to sell clothes. And I pretty sure we have a fantastic reputation as a low pressure shop. We're discount so were not stuffy, although we carries some clothing that belongs in stuffy shops. Basically what I'm saying is clothing stores are not libraries, you can look around for a good 30min. But if I spend 30min. watching you shop and trying to be of assistance, that's 30 min. I'm not straightening, pressing, sewing, or cleaning. If you dart out the door without saying "goodbye", while I'm attending to someone else, you will be remembered as an a**hole, and will probably get less service if and when you come back. Now remember our store is small, and you will always see me or my father there, so maybe it has a friendlier vibe than larger stores, but we are here to sell clothing, not watch you shop.

So, someone has 20 or 30 min to buy something or else? Memo to self, if you're ever unfortunate enough to find yourself in Kansas City ^^^ avoid.

12. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I understand the economy is tough, and everyone's trying to make a sale. I also understand that, to varying degrees, salespeople are rewarded on some sort of commission structure (either personally, or through team/store goals, etc.) I'm aware of it, I get it, and - to the extent that I can - I make sure to revisit salespeople who treat me well.

But I am sick of, nay almost hate, being approached - sometimes multiple times in the same store - by salespeople attempting to initiate a sales relationship usually through some basic/inane conversation that always ends in "I'm so-and-so and if you have any questions please let me know". Every single retail store now seems to do this relentlessly.

I've been told I have a friendlier than usual demeanor, so maybe I strike salespeople as easier to strike up a conversation with (or, heck, maybe I just look like a sucker). But I swear, I'm going to start wearing a F'-off face to get this to stop. Every store is the same thing - there is no enter and browse without having to endure some back-and-forth with an associate and trying to brush them off politely and I am getting sick of it. I was out this this weekend and didn't browse some stores because I was tired of dealing with the hassle.

A simple hello is sufficient (if necessary). And, yes, customers will need help and assistance - train your associates to pay attention to browsers and be ready when they are needed. If I have a question, I'll ask. Don't preemptively accost me when I'm just coming in to look around - you're not building a relationship, you're frustrating me from the get go. This probably goes against manager's instincts, but you have to think about it in the context of a shopper visiting multiple stores, not just yours.

I've said this before about retailers - don't make me be the jerk. I don't want to be a jerk, I hate being the jerk, but I hate it even more when you make me be one because of your practices. Usually that only happens in service situations after the sale, but now it's encroaching on just browsing. I, for one, am getting sick of it.

Ok, rant over.

In fairness, I worked at Best Buy for a short period, and if you left customers alone they would threaten to fire you. They were under the impression that all customers wanted constant attention. If a customer was left alone for more than 2 minutes and a manager noticed, you were in trouble.

13. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

i think no SF shopper would give up a good deal because the salesperson was overbearing, but i think many attention starved customers would if they didnt feel like they were treated well enough.

SF shoppers are so deal-grubbing that they'd do anything to save a buck, whether it be enduring bad salespeople or ridiculously long drives to tiny-ass brook brothers outlets in the middle of nowhere

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

nice assessment of human nature, in general, which i guess, includes you too. youre lying if you say you dont.

15. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

yea im a deal grubber. i do know some people who expected to be treated well, and those happen to be the same people that are willing to pay retail.