• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting sick of salespeople in retail

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand the economy is tough, and everyone's trying to make a sale. I also understand that, to varying degrees, salespeople are rewarded on some sort of commission structure (either personally, or through team/store goals, etc.) I'm aware of it, I get it, and - to the extent that I can - I make sure to revisit salespeople who treat me well.

But I am sick of, nay almost hate, being approached - sometimes multiple times in the same store - by salespeople attempting to initiate a sales relationship usually through some basic/inane conversation that always ends in "I'm so-and-so and if you have any questions please let me know". Every single retail store now seems to do this relentlessly.

I've been told I have a friendlier than usual demeanor, so maybe I strike salespeople as easier to strike up a conversation with (or, heck, maybe I just look like a sucker). But I swear, I'm going to start wearing a F'-off face to get this to stop. Every store is the same thing - there is no enter and browse without having to endure some back-and-forth with an associate and trying to brush them off politely and I am getting sick of it. I was out this this weekend and didn't browse some stores because I was tired of dealing with the hassle.

A simple hello is sufficient (if necessary). And, yes, customers will need help and assistance - train your associates to pay attention to browsers and be ready when they are needed. If I have a question, I'll ask. Don't preemptively accost me when I'm just coming in to look around - you're not building a relationship, you're frustrating me from the get go. This probably goes against manager's instincts, but you have to think about it in the context of a shopper visiting multiple stores, not just yours.

I've said this before about retailers - don't make me be the jerk. I don't want to be a jerk, I hate being the jerk, but I hate it even more when you make me be one because of your practices. Usually that only happens in service situations after the sale, but now it's encroaching on just browsing. I, for one, am getting sick of it.

Ok, rant over.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idiotic rant. You get into a tizzy because people walk up to you and say hi let me know if you need help? May I suggest staying home? What is wrong is people who are completely unable to have normal interactions with humans, and yes, that includes the occasional two second chit chat.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually use the "Hi, are you looking for anything specific or just browsing today?" gives people space to tell em to **** off without feeling bad about it.

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
I have found myself frustrated with salespeople in the past, but really, chill out.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whistle at them like you do at your dog. Sales people like that. You'll get all the best deals.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
salespeople can't win. If they let you be, you get people complaining that they are ignored by snooty salespeople. If they approach you, they are pushy.

Word.

Originally Posted by gdl203
people walk up to you and say hi let me know if you need help

I've always thought this was the best approach.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Idiotic rant. You get into a tizzy because people walk up to you and say hi let me know if you need help? May I suggest staying home? What is wrong is people who are completely unable to have normal interactions with humans, and yes, that includes the occasional two second chit chat.

It's not that I am unable, it's that in order to visit a store I have to jump a hurdle. If I visit a string of stores (hey, I'm out shopping, right?) I now have to have a mini-conversation on every visit.

I'm all for some two second chit-chat. Got something new that you're proud of? Cool, show me. Something in the works for next season? I'm interested. Got a great sale or a new stock of something that's usually short? I'm all ears.

But:

"Hello, welcome to blah-blah-blah."
"Hello"
"My name is so-and-so, is there anything I can help you with?"
"No, I'm just browsing."
"If there is anything you need, my name is so-and-so, just let me know."
"Thanks"

It's not a conversation - it's the same scripted back-and-forth, over, and over and over. It's useless and does nothing more than make me think twice about venturing in.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
Whistle at them like you do at your dog. Sales people like that. You'll get all the best deals.

ROFL
laugh.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
But:

"Hello, welcome to blah-blah-blah."
"Hello"
"My name is so-and-so, is there anything I can help you with?"
"No, I'm just browsing."
"If there is anything you need, my name is so-and-so, just let me know."
"Thanks"

It's not a conversation - it's the same scripted back-and-forth, over, and over and over. It's useless and does nothing more than make me think twice about venturing in.

Imagine how they must feel having to recite the same **** to everyone who walks into the store.

Empathy - do you know it?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
It's not that I am unable, it's that in order to visit a store I have to jump a hurdle. If I visit a string of stores (hey, I'm out shopping, right?) I now have to have a mini-conversation on every visit.

musicboohoo[1].gif

GradSchooler

Reaction score
I work in retail to supplement my meager graduate funding. 99% of my customer interactions go something like this: "Good morning/afternoon/evening. Anything we can help you with today?" To which customers reply "yes" and I help them, or "no, just browsing" and then I say, "No problem. Just take a look around and if you have any questions feel free to ask." At which point I walk away and don't bother them again until they come looking for me. The other one percent of the time, when I ask if I can help, people get a deer-caught-in-the-headlights look of panic and I proceed to give them an out with "or are we just browsing today?" at which point they usually say yes and go about their business. In the year and a bit I've been in retail (as a salesperson) I've had more customers get pissed off at NOT being helped than at being pestered by salespeople. If you really don't like salespeople, and can't stand the arduous task of engaging in more than two 5 second interactions, I suggest you start doing all your shopping on-line and save us the hassle of dealing with misanthropes. The economy is giving us enough trouble, as you so rightly pointed out.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. YOU walked into THEIR place of business, don't forget that. You want to shop in absolute isolation, there's always the internet.

skyman

Reaction score
Or even worse than this approach problem, when you walk into a store and the salesman is 20ish, and he stands at the till usually next to an attractive female salesperson and just stares at every article of clothing you pick up, and stares at you the entire time. Makes me feel really uncomfartable and I usually just walk straight back out. This usually happens in those small clothing stores at malls.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of these SA's are just learning the basics of people skills or doing/saying exactly what their manager told to say/do. Cut them some slack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads