Getting Shirts Taken In - Upper Limit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kh5264, May 2, 2013.

1. kh5264

kh5264 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am a pretty thin guy and normally buy the extra slim shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt. For the most part, these shirts fits well. However, it seems like the classic fit shirts have a much a larger selection and I am tired of buying whites and blues. If I were to buy some classic fit shirts from them, could I get them tailored so that they fit the same as an extra slim shirt? I am not sure if there is a limit on how much a shirt can be taken in by a tailor. If I buy some classic fits, it seems about 3 to 3.5 inches from each side would need to be taken in.

Thanks again for the advice
    Kent

2. landshark

landshark Senior member

I've had some pretty big "classic" cut shirts in my size (not Charles Tyrwhitt per se, mind you) tailored down to a nice slim fit. These shirts were tents and would fit at least 2 of me. Some of them I still wear (I wore one today, in fact.) It's a cheap alteration (no more than $20), so give it a try and see what happens.

3. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

I have no experience with this particular brand, but if the sleeves are proportionately "classic" to the body, be aware that you would likely want to alter them as well. That's starting to get pricey for a $50 shirt.

4. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

its so easy i do it myself cant imagine its any prob for a tailor