• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting ripped off in Rome

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is ironic - I know several cases of europeans who had the same type of thing happen is asia. mostly in strip joints - a girl sits at your table and orders a bottle of something that they call champange, and you find yourself being billed $1,000.

a few months ago a business partner of mine from austria came out to meet me in rome, and her taxi driver overchanged her for the ride by about 30 or 40 euro, and then also claimed that the 100 euro note she gave him was a 50.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worst-ever rip off was a shell game Istanbul. Lost 500,000 lira (equivalent of about $1 US).

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Harsh.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Happened to me at the fair in Vienna near the Prater ferris wheel. Having watched The Living Daylights too many times, I too tried the target shooting game. The carnie tried to charge me $40 for a few shots. After a lot of yelling at him he quickly came down.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ahh people try to pull crap like this on me every day. you get used to it and get used to fighting over miniscule amounts of money on general principle.

toughens you up.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
a few months ago a business partner of mine from austria came out to meet me in rome, and her taxi driver overchanged her for the ride by about 30 or 40 euro, and then also claimed that the 100 euro note she gave him was a 50.
This is why you negotiate the price up front, and never pay until you and your bags (I keep mine in the back seat with me for this very reason) are out of the car. Preferably, you hold out the note, (outside the front window) and say "Just give me X amount", and cash changes hands simultaneously. I didn't follow my own advice in LA once. Bad idea. Some cabbie had his meter turned off (always a bad sign, but I figured that we could work out an arrangement favorable to all.) When we arrived at my destination (a corner, I hardly ever specify an address except when I really don't know a city), he asked for $20 for a ten block ride. I told him I'd give him 5. He got angry and threatened to drop me off somewhere I didn't want to go, and started driving. I opened both back doors, and stomped him in the back of the head (the partition was already a little broken, and it became a lot broken). He stopped the car and let me out, then circled the block twice to see where I was going. I threw a convenient stone at the side of his car, and he did not come back. I did not pay for the ride. I do not enjoy it when people try to rip me off. And sometimes not particularly tough looking Asian hipster dudes are more ornery than they seem.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
This is why you negotiate the price up front, and never pay until you and your bags (I keep mine in the back seat with me for this very reason) are out of the car. Preferably, you hold out the note, (outside the front window) and say "Just give me X amount", and cash changes hands simultaneously.

I didn't follow my own advice in LA once. Bad idea.

Some cabbie had his meter turned off (always a bad sign, but I figured that we could work out an arrangement favorable to all.) When we arrived at my destination (a corner, I hardly ever specify an address except when I really don't know a city), he asked for $20 for a ten block ride. I told him I'd give him 5. He got angry and threatened to drop me off somewhere I didn't want to go, and started driving. I opened both back doors, and stomped him in the back of the head (the partition was already a little broken, and it became a lot broken). He stopped the car and let me out, then circled the block twice to see where I was going. I threw a convenient stone at the side of his car, and he did not come back. I did not pay for the ride. I do not enjoy it when people try to rip me off. And sometimes not particularly tough looking Asian hipster dudes are more ornery than they seem.

The two worlds of LA Guy:

Mild-manner Fok, the post-doc Ph.D. by day; tough Asian hipster dude by night.
smile.gif

Jon.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The two worlds of LA Guy:

Mild-manner Fok, the post-doc Ph.D. by day; tough Asian hipster dude by night.
smile.gif

Jon.

hmmm....hes probably slightly weakened from an overused banning finger, so if push comes to shove, i think im in with a shot.

lets see if we can provoke him...

NiCe fLaReZ dOOd

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads