• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting rid of TV altogether?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How many of you have completely unplugged from TV? If so, how has your life benefited? Are there any drawbacks? When I move up north somewhere next year for my MBA, I'm seriously considering not having a TV in my apartment.

Jon.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Did so for a number of months and did not miss it. Highly recommended, and in fact every once in a while I consider dropping the TV once again (Mrs. T broke ranks on me). Although, my TV tolerance is still fairly low and I think nothing of getting up mid-program to go outside.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My bedroom is unplugged from TV since it's the only place I get any reading done, but I've got one for my living room

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean no cable or literally no television?

I've done both from time to time (one can always watch movies on a computer, I suppose, so I guess that doesn't 100% count). It won't kill you.

But I like some TV shows. Perhaps when we move that can be reassessed.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had no tv for two years now.
I don't miss it at all. Its possible to download or watch tv programs online and of course watch DVDs on a pc. I find the internet, books and the radio plenty enough entertainment at home.

I don't find any real benefits - I waste time online rather than filling the tv hole with anything creative.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who has time for TV with Styleforum to occupy all available time...

bomber

Reaction score
I have gone without TV but I noticed the internet usage goes up so I can't say I am really getting anything more productive done.

The DVR was probably the best purchase overall. I used to just have the tv on all the time and would find myself watching a movie I have seen 5 times already or reruns of an old show that I didn't really care for the first time. I would just watch it because it was on I guess (after flipping through the channels constantly).

DVR = now I only watch the shows I really like. It is weird, I am following more shows (episode to episode) than ever, but I spend much less overall time watching tv (also get to skip the commercials). Pretty cool.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find a nice balance is to keep the tv, but get rid of cable. I watch some tv shows (on DVD) while eating, and the occasional movie, but getting rid of cable prevents the mindless wandering through channels and hours of time wasted watching nothing. You end up being deliberate in what you watch as opposed to indiscriminate.

sam

Reaction score
I haven't watched television in probably 10 years (I'm 28). Best decision I made. Frankly, it's an input with little or no output.

As for benefits, you'd be surprised how much of a time sink it is. I now have more time to read, party, get laid, etc. I've found I'm also more creative.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gave up watching TV almost 6 years ago and I don't really miss it. I might catch an NFL game, or college basketball or football game from time to time, but other than that, my TV is always off. It got to the point with my work schedule and other activities where I couldn't justify spending all that money on cable for something I wasn't going to have time to watch.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing none of you like sports?
confused.gif

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I'm guessing none of you like sports?
confused.gif

I love sports. I guess that would be my only drawback to not having cable, I do miss having ESPN. But, during football and basketball season I am able to watch a few games on the broadcast networks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads