• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting rid of smell of smoke

that 70's mike

Reaction score
Any suggestions for getting rid of the awful smell of smoke from clothes? I don't smoke, so I was hoping some of the smokers out there could help.

Thanks in advance

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as a cigar smoker, this is always a concern to me. i've found that letting my suit air out for a while near a fan or open window for a while before putting it back in the closet helps. however, nothing seems to refresh a suit all around like hanging it up in the bathroom while my wife takes a hot shower.

davei

Reaction score
Short of dry cleaning, I'll go with what everyone else will presumably say: air. Airing them out, for me at least, is the easiest, cheapest, and least damaging way to get rid of the smell of smoke, i.e. I tried Febreze once but it left this clinical type of reek which didn't come out for a week.

That being said, some materials/weaves seem more smoke sticky than others - I wore a sweatshirt and jeans to a smoky club, and the jeans took far longer to air out than the sweatshirt (both made of cotton, though the sweatshirt was a little looser weave.)

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sharper Image makes a closet air purifier to circulate the air in your closet and keep clothes smelling fresh. It isn't as strong as they claim, but it you put it right next to a shirt you wore to the bar the night before, then it does do the job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads