1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of smell of smoke

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by that 70's mike, May 11, 2002.

1. that 70's mike

that 70's mike New Member

Any suggestions for getting rid of the awful smell of smoke from clothes? I don't smoke, so I was hoping some of the smokers out there could help.

Thanks in advance

2. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

as a cigar smoker, this is always a concern to me. i've found that letting my suit air out for a while near a fan or open window for a while before putting it back in the closet helps. however, nothing seems to refresh a suit all around like hanging it up in the bathroom while my wife takes a hot shower.

3. davei

davei Senior member

Short of dry cleaning, I'll go with what everyone else will presumably say: air. Airing them out, for me at least, is the easiest, cheapest, and least damaging way to get rid of the smell of smoke, i.e. I tried Febreze once but it left this clinical type of reek which didn't come out for a week.

That being said, some materials/weaves seem more smoke sticky than others - I wore a sweatshirt and jeans to a smoky club, and the jeans took far longer to air out than the sweatshirt (both made of cotton, though the sweatshirt was a little looser weave.)

4. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

The Sharper Image makes a closet air purifier to circulate the air in your closet and keep clothes smelling fresh. It isn't as strong as they claim, but it you put it right next to a shirt you wore to the bar the night before, then it does do the job.