• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting rid of furniture in Manhattan

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with disposing of furniture in Manhattan? My GF is moving out of the country at the end of the month and needs to get rid of her stuff. She called about donating to Charity but they don't have pickups until mid July. She doesn't have a car obviously.

My suggestion was to give it away on craigslist but she's had bad experiences with cl and she is a 24 yo girl all by herself which makes me a little nervous. Any ideas?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several charities and thrift stores pick up. I would try calling others.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about Freecycle if she doesn't care about the money?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if it's anything halfway decent just put it onthe sidewalk - it'll be gone in the morning....

turboman808

Reaction score
Yeah you put something nice out on the sidewalk and it will be gone in under an hour.

Put my last 2 couches out to the street and they made their way to the apartment full of college kids down the hall. Could have saved them the trip and just left it at their door.

mmhollis

Reaction score
I'm a Columbia student and would definitely be interested in furniture if she is looking to give away or take modest..very modest donations.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmhollis
I'm a Columbia student and would definitely be interested in furniture if she is looking to give away or take modest..very modest donations.
I'll let her know. I think the things are all from Ikea. Last time she moved she tried to sell her stuff on craigslist and it was a huge hassle. She spent all day waiting for people to come pick things up that just flaked in the end.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
I'll let her know. I think the things are all from Ikea.

Last time she moved she tried to sell her stuff on craigslist and it was a huge hassle. She spent all day waiting for people to come pick things up that just flaked in the end.

Yeah...people can be super shady on CL. You have to make them work with your schedule otherwise you get stuck waiting around when you have better things to do.

My girlfriend is in the market for furniture...couch, end tables, bookshelves, rugs, lamps, dressers...etc.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in this great armoire? Need to get rid of it and can give a very good price.

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/prod...abinet_armoire

So if someone wants a very well made, solid wood armoire for the price of a crappy Ikea particle board one, PM me
smile.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

samblau

Reaction score
The last time I moved, I tried to sell, and ultimately gave away several items.

Sadly, with the economy the way it is, some people are still going thru the CL archives and calling me. The tone of desperation is a chilling reminder why we should all be thankful for what we do have. On the other hand, the amount of effort people expected me to go to for free was insane. The best option, IMO, is to give to a charity.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Wow, that is a nice Armoire!
It is. Wife got a custom closet built so this has to go now. If your gf is interested (it's in the darker finish), let me know - she'll get a very good deal.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
if you still have this in 2-3 months i'd definitely be interested

I can't leave this standing in the middle of my bedroom for that long. It's going on CL this weekend if nobody here is interested...

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
It is. Wife got a custom closet built so this has to go now. If your gf is interested (it's in the darker finish), let me know - she'll get a very good deal.

make sure to take out your soup recipes before giving it away!
Attachment 24527

Attachment 24528

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads