• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

getting rid of facial scarring

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got scarring on my face, mostly my forehead, from when I had bad acne as a teenager. The way it looks never used to bother me much, but as I get older it does. Does anyone know of an over the counter product that works, like a cream or something that helps with scarring?

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Mederma might help. Seeing a dermatologist would offer some different alternatives.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that you have some pitted scarring from the acne. In this case you might try needling along with some strong copper peptides. I would recommend Dr. Pickart's "super cop" formula from www.skinbiology.com. It is a relatively popular product. You could also try some emu oil to aid in the penetration. Here is a really good thread on treating scarring, lots of input from a doctor who actually knows what he is talking about: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ind...ic=104221&st=0 Super Cop will blow Mederma away. Mederma is over priced for what you get. A dermatologist will probably just tell you to moisturize and then hand you a free sample of Eucerin brand lotion
sarcasm.gif

stach

Reaction score
You can buy a house brand of Mederma at Wallgreens.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has taken about ten years . . . but I have found that exfoliation with a facial sponge, combined with the use of the Avon Anew line and retinol, have totally eradicated a couple of scars I had, on the right side of my face. Avon offers a mild chemical peel, these days. I've never used it, but I know people who have. They claim to have procured fine results. If your scars are deep, I'd consult a dermatologist.

Store bought brands, only go so far.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ah my area of expertise. More information required ...

are you talking about hypertrophic scarring ie raised and red or depressed scarring ie punched out looking scars.

Neither is particularly easy to treat but the former slightly better. If it's 'fresh' ie within two years then it may get better by itself or faster with steroids/pressure/silicone/vascular laser. If it's older than two years it won't get beter by itself.

Depressed scars are less easy to deal with. Part of the problem is the shadow created by the contour change and smoothing out the transition with an abrasive ie laser/dermabrasion/deeper peels may help. Deeper discrete scars may benefit from fillers eg hyaluronic acid etc...

glenn

Reaction score
sorry to hijack, but i've got scarring on the forehead too. more of a darker patch than anything else. nothing different about the contour of the area. anything to help, chobo?

Andrew V.

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste my time on Mederma. I don't think it has any scientific evidence to back it up.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
I have some of this. I've been getting Smoothbeam treatments and they have gone pretty well.

mia123456789

Reaction score
i'd recommend inviCible scars. I've used it and it's worth buying it. i had acne scars too ... they too used to look really ugly..i can imagine how you would be feeling... give it a try ..it has all those vitamins and minerals that are required for scar treatment such as vitamin C, silicone sheets and many more... i've tried tonnes of remedies but none worked for me.I tried a bunch of cheap creams, like the stuff you get at CVS, but it didn’t really work.i got to know about this product,invicible scars from different skin care forums. i tried it and it certainly has remarkable effects.i can see a great difference in my skin now within a month.it is a hypoallergenic acne scar treatment so don't hesitate like i was since i was really concerned about all those break outs that are caused by using the products.Since it does not contain common skin irritants like preservatives and fragrances, it is far less likely to cause a break-out than most other acne scar care products do. I’m really very much satisfied by it as it has really shown drastic effects in such sort span of time.it's great ... consult the website for more details so that you may have an idea of what type of scar do you have and how to use it .... contact them, they'll guide you..good luck :)

desireme

Reaction score
Mederma was of no worth. It caused breakouts on my skin. Is invicible safe ?? I want to use it for my acne scars. I need to get rid of them as quickly as possible.

sammy11

Reaction score
Mederma didn't work for either. Really good responses on invicible scars. The hypoallergenic part of it really pushes me into buying it. Seems an effective product for certain

GGsquared

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This should be addressed by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. There are many alternatives: microdermabrasion, peels, laser, RF, at different levels of strength. Stop wasting your time and money on cosmetics and over the counter products. Go see a doctor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads