• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting ready for Summer

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Winter is coming to a close and summer is on it's way. I've recently done a wardrobe remake for this fall and winter and really finding my style there and finding so much inspiration from the forum and insta... But, my summer wardrobe is seriously lacking, mainly because I run scared of shorts and t-shirts- does anyone have a good starting point? I like to air on the side of classic menswear style.
I'm 25, 5'10 and average build.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Getting ready for summer? It's months away!
it's supposed to hit 70 degrees here tomorrow :) Just want to get ahead of the game, looking for deals and budgeting my for my summer clothes selection.

Chouan

Reaction score
If only! I had cold drizzle all day, temperature at about 8 c.

MarkWinter

Reaction score
There is no problem with planning months in advance, that way you can ensure to get the right pieces in each category.
A good summer wardrobe should be not complicated. Basic versatile colors (navy, light blue, khaki and white) a nice shade of green thrown in for good measure. Lightweight, breathable fabrics (linen or linen blends)
What you need essentially is:
-A couple of well fitting crewneck t-shirt and or polo shirts
- A pair of navy and khaki chinos
- Linen dress shirts in white, light blue and navy. For breathability and character
- A lighweight, unlined sportocoat (start with navy or a bit brighter blue in a plain fabric, follow with some pattern)
-A lightweight, unlined suit for weddings, dates or special occasions (a nice shade of not too bright blue to start with, khaki cotton or light grey wool to follow)
- A pair of brown loafers, preferably in suede
- A pair of simple white tennis shoes
- Some lightweight casual outerwear , field jacket or blouson.

Some visual inspo from our archives....

SZA_2282.jpg

2..jpg

SZA_5725.jpg

SZA_0062.jpg

SZA_0240.jpg

SZA_5725.jpg

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Awesome. This is super helpful, any good inspo for casual streetwear? I'm in DC so it gets so hot in the summer, are we looking at shorts and linen shirts? Or like lightweight pants and shirts?

pacnyc

Reaction score
As I was browsing sales this morning, I happened to notice Brook Brothers has added a lot of summer stuff to their clearance inventory. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Clearance/mens-online-clearance-sale,default,sc.html

Mark Winter’s advice is great. I’d only add that since you live in a city, consider choosing that summery sport coat instead of a blouson/Harrington before you head out. That way, if you drop in at a nice restaurant or bar, or decide last minute to go to the theater, you’re already dressed for the occasion. (I myself mostly wear shorts in town only when the temperature goes above 100–but I’m older than you, and also don’t wear t-shirts except as undershirts or tennis shoes except for playing tennis.)

MarkWinter

Reaction score
Awesome. This is super helpful, any good inspo for casual streetwear? I'm in DC so it gets so hot in the summer, are we looking at shorts and linen shirts? Or like lightweight pants and shirts?

I would also avoid shorts in the city, only for very hot days and really casual past time. Try breezy linen trousers with sneakers. Basic Vans , suede slip-ons etc.

dapperguy80

Reaction score
How about poplin button down shirts and chinos plus tassel or penny loafers without socks?

nycs10011

Reaction score
I've found my favorite summer dress shirts are usually a linen cotton blend though I have many pure linen and cotton ones as well.

MarkWinter

Reaction score
I've found my favorite summer dress shirts are usually a linen cotton blend though I have many pure linen and cotton ones as well.

I have a favourite cutaway collar linen/cotton chambray shirt. Great in the summer with a knit tie or open collar under a chocolate brown SC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads