1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Getting Professional Measurements Taken

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by v0rtex, May 14, 2005.

1. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior Member

Thinking about ordering a shirt from http://www.meinelt-fashion.com/, as the review here seemed good and the Jantzen turnaround is too slow for me. However, I don't have a full set of measurements and would prefer these to be taken professionally. Can I just walk into a local tailor and ask for a set of measurements to be taken? Should I mention that I plan on ordering from an overseas clothier, or is this seen as poor form? Will this service cost money, or will it be done for free on the expectaction that I'll be placing an order? If the latter, should I insist on paying a small fee/tipping? Cheers for any help.

2. Matt

Matt [email protected]

id vote poor form if the tailor makes shirts himself.

if he doesnt - so it is non-competitive - id print out the measurement form and take it and tell him that you dont trust yourself to do it.

i know of other forum members who have had seamstresses take their measurements before ordering from Asia.

...and you absolutely should pay for the service.

3. Alias

Alias Distinguished Member

Depends on the tailor. Some tailors can't be bothered since they don't consider you to be a customer, but others might be willing.

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You could try going to an alterations shop.

5. Urban Warrior

Urban Warrior Senior Member

Do you have a regular dry cleaner that also does alterations? You would already be a customer, and they would be taking care of whatever you purchase...