• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting pen marks out of suit pants

csfbguy

Reaction score
I mistakenly brushed my pen against a pair of tan suit pants the other day, and am not sure what is the best way to get the mark out...Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't this a *****? I do this sometimes. In my experience, dousing it with cold water and rubbing it out IMMEDIATELY has always worked best with me (though this is with ball point pen marks -- ink pens may tend to smear). But you are too late for that. The best option is probably to take it to the cleaner and have them apply cleaning fluid to it -- I recall there being cleaner specifically for ink marks.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, by the way. If they are a non-cotton fabric, then DEFINITELY take them to the cleaners as your first option -- I only douse and rub with sturdy cottons.

FCS

Reaction score
Hem, I am usually able to get stains out of shirts by applying laundry soap, after pre-treating / detergent soaking the garment first for a few hours. Let 10 minutes to pass after rubbing the laundry soap, leave soaked for an hour or so, then handwash. Was able to erase stains that had been there for weeks.

However, I've never tried this to wool garments.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ink stains: some sort of alcohol based solvent, or even regular rubbing alcohol. Most fountain pen shops sell good stuff that will work on ball-point ink, fountain pen ink, etc. I recently got a nasty ink stain out of the cuff of a white T&A shirt cuff. First, you place paper towels behind the stain and apply the alcohol with another paper towel . . . the ink will want to spread, and the dry paper towel beneath the fabric will catch that . . . keep changing the towels. If this doesn't work, soak the offending part of the garment in the alcohol solution for a few hours, then launder. This is also helpful for getting rid of that red pen mark that Neiman's Clearance Center uses.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads