• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting pants altered: What shoes to bring?

jussumguy

Reaction score
Maybe a very noobish/nitpicky question, but was just wondering.. I got a pair of pants that I'll be wearing with different kinds of shoes (loafers, lace-ups, etc). When I take them to the tailor to get altered, should I bring the loafers or lace-ups (which most likely sits a little higher on the ankle than the loafers)? Or does it not matter? Thanks in advance.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bring whichever shoes you think you'll wear most often with the pants. I always bring lace up shoes, since I have like 12 pairs of those, but only three pairs of loafers.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Given your uncertainty, take both types of shoes to see how each looks.

- B

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tailor who taught me to cuff pants said to wear a loafer on one foot and a lace-up on the other when being measured. Then, no matter what kind of shoes are worn, one pants leg will always be the proper length.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
The tailor who taught me to cuff pants said to wear a loafer on one foot and a lace-up on the other when being measured. Then, no matter what kind of shoes are worn, one pants leg will always be the proper length.

LOL. Interesting, but I'd think I'd rather have perfect half the time then half perfect all of the time.

jussumguy

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I was thinking since the pants are a slimmer fit, I might wear the lace-ups when getting measured so that when I wear the loafers with them, there will be less break which is preferable to getting too much break when wearing the lace-ups with a loafer measured length (if that makes sense). With fuller fit pants I'd probably get measured in the loafers and allow for more of a break when wearing the lace-ups. I guess another solution would be to just buy more pants. lol.

Anyway I'll take both with me to the tailor and see what he says. Thanks everyone.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty obviously, the type that you would be most likely to wear with the garment.

No point otherwise, in fact damn stupid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads