• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting outlines in raw denim.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
Quick question for you all. I've seen outlines of everything from wallets to flasks on back pockets. My question is how do you do this? I've recently started wearing my H&Ms again every other day. I usuall carry my wallet in one pocket and put a comb and the pen that I use in to take notes in the other, will the comb or the pen start to show up over time if I leave it in there. I'm considering buying a tin of mints, like the round altoid tins, to keep in my other pocket along with the pen. I this a good idea? Also, how long does it usually take to do?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it to try and get an effect that is not in line with your typical activities - for instance, altoids tin to appear like a can of dip. But do what you want, nobody will stop you, or really care.

That said, all my jeans have wallet marks on the back pockets from wear - regular pre-washed denim, not just raw denim.

My pair of Corpus 1-wash has some decent wear/outlining forming on the coin pocket because I have a habit of keeping my Zippo in there. The outline started becoming defined after about a month and a half.

I'd recommend just keeping the items in the same place/pocket every time you wear the jeans, and over time the outlines will form.

Reaction score
atari, the japanese call it, methinks.

like anything, don't try, just do. otherwise you look like a poseur, not only that, you would be one. a poseur, that is!

just do what comes natch

a coin purse keeps your coins tidy

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by weirdnjfan1
I'm considering buying a tin of mints, like the round altoid tins, to keep in my other pocket along with the pen.
I realize that having strong feelings about this one way or another makes me a marsupial, but THIS VEXES ME SO VERY MUCH. PLEASE DO NOT DO IT.

It's the crotch-stuffing of the denim-geek scene. It's the sartorial equivalent of walking around with a kielbasa stuffed down the front of your pants. All you stinky-assed, starch-kneed, fake-snuff-carrying motherfuckers are seriously up in my Kool-Aid. I swear to God, I will kill you all, every last one of you.

Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. If I don't let that out occasionally, I get big rage lumps on my neck like Homer Simpson.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an outline of a treo in my front pocket. What a great representation of my lifestyle...

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, people put some odd things in their pockets... brass knuckles for example. I wonder what they're thinking...

Goblin

Reaction score
My "carried" items in my RRDS are as follows:

Right front pocket: asthma inhaler; Spyderco Endura knife clipped on

Coin pocket: my keys, so they don't rattle against my asthma inhaler when I walk

Left front pocket: cell phone if I'm on call; something to blow my nose on if my allergies are acting up

Right front beltloop: carabiner watch - I don't like wearing a wristwatch if I'm skating, but I need to know what time it is

Right back pocket: wallet

Left back pocket: Case two-blade knife; sometimes a paperback book if I'm going some place where I have to sit and behave for a while, like the DMV, my wife's workplace, etc.

The spots where I'm getting "outlines" are where my Spyderco clips on, around my wallet, and the Case knife, which is probably going to bust a couple holes in my left back pocket. I will probably patch these when they occur because I like that knife and I don't want it falling out.

I haven't washed these jeans yet, and I'm a bit amused by the prospect of having an asthma inhaler outline.

In any case, this is the sort of wear that appeals to me personally - there's probably no one else in the world who'll have the exact same kind of wear patterns on their jeans, but I'm not doing anything "contrived" to achieve the wear, other than not washing the jeans.

(Please disregard my conniption in my previous post. Different strokes.
smile.gif
)

tangerine

Reaction score
I like the cranky post, too.

I always get a wallet fade in my back pocket; I am currently getting a rather standard Nokia fade in my left front pocket.

I like the look of a zippo fade in the coin pocket but I don't smoke anymore, and when I did the fluid would sometimes leak and give me a chemical burn so I don't really miss the zippo.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My sweetest pair of raw denim has the outline of a package of Magnum condoms.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

And BTW, if my lifestyle is such that I want to have fresh breath, who the **** do you think you are to tell me I can't carry a tin of Altoids in my back pocket?

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
I carried a Zippo in my coin pocket for the first seven months of my Imperials, but I had to throw it away at the airport. It left a nice outline though, and flicking it open/lighting it on my jeans left some cool marks on the outseam of my thigh.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
like anything, don't try, just do. otherwise you look like a poseur, not only that, you would be one. a poseur, that is!

just do what comes natch

Exactly.

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dryice
i don't think it's a matter of having fresh breath. but the way he asked it made it sound like he was considering an altoid tin soley for the purpose of replicating a snuff tin outline.

Agreed. montecristo, with all respect, you need to read up on your nudies advertising history.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads