• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

getting my car/motorcycle out of long term storage?

graphite

Reaction score
i'm nearing the end of my deployment in iraq, and excited to get back on my bike and put my car back on the road!

but first, what are things you suggest for me to do to ensure my automobiles are ready to ride?

background, i have a nissan 350z and a suzuki sv650. the car has been put up on blocks in a storage unit. before i left, i drained/replaced the oil out of both. i topped off the tanks and added fuel stabilizer to both.

can i just get back on these vehicles and ride? should i get all the fluids drained and replaced? if so, which fluids? where might i go to get this done, and estimate cost? do i have to worry about things like gaskets, seals, or anything of that nature? this is the first time i've put vehicles in storage for long term, and i'm not too proficient with autos as is, so please bear with me.

thanks in advance!

graphite

Reaction score
coming up on 12 months
redface.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they sound like they are both less than 3 years old, I don't think you need to do anything special other than checking the fluids, tire pressure and taking it easy for the first 30 minutes or so.

Some people recommend dropping some oil into the cylinders from the top (remove spark plugs).

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you didn't disconnect the batteries, they'll probably need charging. I would just ask the dealer and see if they have a recommendation.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
they sound like they are both less than 3 years old, I don't think you need to do anything special other than checking the fluids, tire pressure and taking it easy for the first 30 minutes or so.

Some people recommend dropping some oil into the cylinders from the top (remove spark plugs).

This seems like the easiest way to go. Our neighbor had an old Triumph bike that had been sitting for over a year and did this; it ran just fine.

Thank you for your service as well, come back safe.

graphite

Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys!

i didn't disconnect the batteries... i forgot. i'll give them a jump and pray for the best!

take care and thank you for the kind thoughts.

RanMan

Reaction score
Couple of things you can do. Remove the spark plugs and add a couple of squirts of oil into the spark plug holes, maybe a teaspoon. This will help lubricate the piston rings as well as minimize any piston wall scoring from rust, which can develop during long periods of inactivity.

Fill engine with fresh oil. Turn the ignition to the "on" position for at least 30 seconds to give the oil pump time to relube the engine's internal parts.

Now hit the starter and turn the engine over momentarily to remove excess oil from combustion chamber. This can be a little messy and your car will smoke when you actually start it. Replace spark plugs and fire it up.

Oh, and you might wanna check your belts for any cracking, ect.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by graphite
coming up on 12 months
redface.gif

That is not excessively long to store a vehicle. Change the oil and check the rest of the fluids before driving, and take it easy the first tank of gas or so. The worst move would be to crank one of them up and then try to race it around.

graphite

Reaction score
gotcha, thanks.

i have no concept of duration for what constitutes as long term, short term, intermediate term... 1 year felt long to me. at least, it does over here. :'(

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert so maybe someone else can comment on what I'm saying...

That's way too long for gas to be sitting even with fuel stabilizer IIRC. Gas breaks down after a couple of months even with stabilizer. I imagine that your car and bike might run like **** when starting or for the first couple of miles. Maybe adding some fresh gas after using a couple of gallons would help?

I've only let my motorcycle sit for a couple of months with out running (for the winter) and it was fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads