• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting my blazer tailored tomorrow; advice?

ramair57

Reaction score
Im taking my new Ermenegildo Zegna blazer to get tailored tomorrow. Im getting the sleeves shortened, obviously, to show about a half inch of cuff (I like a bit more), but I was wondering if there were any other "must do" alterations that you guys do with blazers? Im a bit of a newbie with the fashion stuff, and this is certainly the nicest blazer Ive ever owned (way out of my price range), so needless to say, I want it to look great. I recently moved home, and dont really have a tailor I am familiar with, so I dont wanna leave it up to chance if they dont know what theyre doing (but theyre pretty good from what I hear, just not "high fashion" being that its in Buffalo and they dont have alot of experience around here with those kind of clothes). Thanks ahead of time guys; I appreciate your advice

penguin vic

Reaction score
Unless you post pics so people can actually see how the thing fits people aren't going to be able to offer you any advice.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Biggest secret to tailoring: make sure to make the jacket look fit.

How to do that? POST PICTURES

ramair57

Reaction score
Ill try to post some pictures; I dont have a camera, but Ill see what I can do

Happydayz

Reaction score
for someone who doesn't know what he wants you certainly started off with a bang by picking up a Zegna blazer.

Would probably have been safer to just go with a blazer from J Crew and wearing that until you're more comfortable with your personal style

aldica

Reaction score
You may choose to ignore my post, but I think I am spot on, here; 1) go to the BEAST mens' clothing store in Buffalo and ask who they recommend as a tailor. 2) Go to that tailor. 3) Follow his/her advice!

ramair57

Reaction score
aldica, thats a good idea, but the best stores have their own tailors, and I dont think theyd do items that werent purchased there

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramair57
aldica, thats a good idea, but the best stores have their own tailors, and I dont think theyd do items that werent purchased there

Better stores want to keep their tailors busy, if sales are slow after the holidays they'll probably be very happy to alter your jacket for you. I've had clothing altered by high-end stores in Boston, NYC and Chicago that I did not purchase at those stores, so it can be done.

indy116

Reaction score
In Buffalo, it'd certainly be worth giving the folks at O'Connell's a talking to. http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/ If their tailor is busy, maybe they can point you towards a trusted one. But if you trust your place, then let em at it.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be sure to wear a shirt that has cuffs that fit correctly and that stop the sleeve from sliding over your hand. Generally the tailor will mark to show the amount of cuff you want. that will be different depending upon how the shirt cuff fits. If I try to jut my thumb directly and flat out to the side of my hand, I want the shirt cuff to stop just about where the thumb bone is joined into the hand. For me, the jacket sleeve length will then be about just on the hand side of the wrist bone to show the cuff I want. Also, make sure that they measure amd mark both sides as your arms can be a bit different in length. Once you are satisfied with the jacket (after the work) have the tailor measure the length of the sleeve from your thumb tip on each side. Those will always be the same place no matter how the shirt fits.

You may need to have the collar adjusted so that it does not stand away from your neck. Put the jacket on and walk a few steps while giving your arms an exagerated swing. Then check to see if the collar is lying flat at the neck and not standing away from the shirt collar.

Little can be done is the shoulders are too large or broad. However, the body can be tightened up a bit. Also check to see if the vent(s) hang correctly. If they are gapping then the tailor can make some alterations to correct that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads