• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting measured today for MTM... protocol and advice?

davidjn

Reaction score
hi guys, this is my first post besides my introduction. there's a ton of great info on the forum and i'm glad so many people are OCD about this stuff (makes it easier for me lol).

today i am getting measured for the first time for MTM wear by sam from www.mytailor.com. i'm not sold on purchasing anything from them, but i couldn't pass the opportunity by if i do decide to order (or just the experience). i was also hoping that when i get my measurements taken professionally, i could get a copy of the actual numbers (for Jantzen purposes and others).

1. is it a faux-pas to ask for the measurements and then not order anything if i don't like the fabrics (or for whatever other reason)?

2. are their any questions i should absolutely ask the tailor?

3. how do you generally appraise fabric durability and construction?

4. i know when a fabric feels good/soft and i know what patterns and colors i like, but will these preferences (liking a soft or certain sheen of fabric) steer me towards cloth that won't last?

5. my general problem (like a lot of other guys here i think) is that my chest is much wider than my waist for general OTR stuff. i'm 5'7.5", 155lbs, 29/30 waist, and (i think) 40S (might be 41 now). should i give any specific instructions for a suit or shirt seeing as i want one that is \\ / as opposed to | | ?

thanks for taking the time to read all these questions. the info i've found hasn't been this specific.

-dave

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think it is poor form to waste a guy's time so that you can send your business elsewhere. These guys know that Jantzen is out there. Part of their service is a better fit coming from better measurements. It seems wrong to take advantage of that.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidjn
1. is it a faux-pas to ask for the measurements and then not order anything if i don't like the fabrics (or for whatever other reason)?

2. are their any questions i should absolutely ask the tailor?

3. how do you generally appraise fabric durability and construction?

4. i know when a fabric feels good/soft and i know what patterns and colors i like, but will these preferences (liking a soft or certain sheen of fabric) steer me towards cloth that won't last?

5. my general problem (like a lot of other guys here i think) is that my chest is much wider than my waist for general OTR stuff. i'm 5'7.5", 155lbs, 29/30 waist, and (i think) 40S (might be 41 now). should i give any specific instructions for a suit or shirt seeing as i want one that is \\ / as opposed to | | ?

1. It is probably poor form to ask, but mostly because the information would be useless to you. Different tailors measure and interpret measurements differently.

2. Difficult to answer this. But generally, I think if you get to the point where you are interrogating your tailor, either he's not the right tailor for you, or you haven't done enough homework.

3. I don't know how to do this myself. I just trust in the names that are highly regarded.

4. Softness and durability don't necessarily correlate.

5. Make sure the tailor knows you are not afraid of waist supression. But I think it is venturing into dangerous territory when you find yourself telling a tailor exactly how to shape something--particularly when you are dealing with MTM (there's only so much they can do).

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd agree that it would be poor form to ask for the measurements and not buy anything. That's wasting their time and I'm sure would be transparent to them. If you want to be professionally measured, make an appointment with a local tailor and offer to compensate them for their time.

Many of the questions you asked can probably be best answered by the guys you're going to talk to. Much of the benefit of a process like this is discussing with the garment's maker what exactly you're expecting and getting guidance from them with respect to fabric qualities and fit. One option that many on the forum have done is to get a shirt or two professionally made by someone who takes your measurements and whom you are paying to deliver a great fit AND THEN use that shirt as a pattern for your Janzen orders - either measuring it or sending it to Rickey to have it duplicated.

Have fun and let us know how your appointment goes.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi guys, this is my first post besides my introduction. there's a ton of great info on the forum and i'm glad so many people are OCD about this stuff (makes it easier for me lol).

today i am getting measured for the first time for MTM wear by sam from www.mytailor.com. i'm not sold on purchasing anything from them, but i couldn't pass the opportunity by if i do decide to order (or just the experience). i was also hoping that when i get my measurements taken professionally, i could get a copy of the actual numbers (for Jantzen purposes and others).

This sort of conduct reaally is a disgrace. It cannot be justified in any way.

davidjn

Reaction score
i don't mean to imply that i would walk in, ask to be measured, ask for the measurements, look at the fabrics, and say i didn't want anything (in that order).

i was told that when i got there, they would immediately measure me and then discuss the ordering process.

i think the best thing to do is say right off that i don't know if i want to buy anything, i just want information. question answered.

yo!

Reaction score
I would just order one shirt from them.

Go to the below thread and read at least 50 pages. You will see that Jantzen is not the best solution. For some of the people it works out but for most it seems that they are disappointed.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...hlight=jantzen

I too just decided to make the plunge and go MTM. I was debating between Jantzen and Mytailor and ended up going with mytailor.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think the best thing to do is say right off that i don't know if i want to buy anything, i just want information. question answered.
With this approach they'll probably answer questions first and measure last, dependent upon your decision to proceed with the order.

davidjn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
With this approach they'll probably answer questions first and measure last, dependent upon your decision to proceed with the order.

well JayJay, you were exactly right. i met up with Joe H. from mytailor.com yesterday and had an overall pleasant experience.

i asked a couple general questions, which basically boiled down to, "can you do ___," to which he would curtly answer "of course." he wasn't much into volunteering any information, which makes him much more appropriate for a costumer who knows what he's doing and knows what he wants and what's possible. all of which is to be expected from a tailor who isn't based anywhere near you.

i ended up ordering 1 pure white 80s (
confused.gif
) .25inch herringbone shirt with a spread collar, mitred barrel cuffs, and one plain rounded pocket. i'll let you guys know how it turns out.

one complaint i would have is that detailed information about the fabrics wasn't generally available (thread count, manufacturer, composition).

i'm happy to answer any questions about the experience in general if you guys have any.

-dave

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads