• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting married! Seeking advice on attire.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I done got on one knee with a ring, and suddenly I'm engaged. We're planning the wedding for next September (2008) and decided against tuxedos, even though the event may go into the evening.

I'm of the mind that everyone should just look their independent best. However, it's been suggested that we all wear matching ties/pocket squares at the very least. This might be okay, but then I'll have to find a tie that matches everyone's suit or ask everyone to wear the same-color suit.

I'd personally like to avoid wearing the same color suits since it might just look like we were too cheap to buy tuxedos.

So, (1) how important is wearing the same tie, and (2) what tie would match a charcoal suit, a dark blue suit, a medium blue suit with tonal blue stripes, a beige suit, and a medium gray suit?

I was thinking of dark plum.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, I done got on one knee with a ring, and suddenly I'm engaged. We're planning the wedding for next September (2008) and decided against tuxedos, even though the event may go into the evening.

I'm of the mind that everyone should just look their independent best. However, it's been suggested that we all wear matching ties/pocket squares at the very least. This might be okay, but then I'll have to find a tie that matches every one's suit or ask everyone to wear the same-color suit.

I'd personally like to avoid wearing the same color suits since it might just look like we were too cheap to buy tuxedos.

So, (1) how important is wearing the same tie, and (2) what tie would match a charcoal suit, a dark blue suit, a medium blue suit with tonal blue stripes, a beige suit, and a medium gray suit?

I was thinking of dark plum.

These are the most appropriate sentiments.

"everyone should just look their independent best"
A wedding is not an event for regimented dress. By all means appoint morning dress and top hats but not from the same hirer. that just looks common.

Your taste is normally impecable - minimise the isntructions absolutely.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Decided against tuxedos? Why on Earth?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good decision on not making everybody suit up the same. I have always hated that.

You could just have the wedding party wear the same fower in their lapel, or not even bother matching at all. Ties are personal, and nothing will look great with anything.

Congratulations!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Congratulations. Why not have the wedding party in similar suits (say dark grey, 2 button etc.) but different tie / shirt combo's and the same boutonnière?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that nothing looks best than a well cut, well tailored tuxedo. I don't think every man need to be in a tux, but certainly those intimately involved in the ceremony.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Congratulations to you both.

And thanks for ditching the black tie in the afternoon thing.

Avoid overt matches--- dark suits or even blazers for the gents, simple shirts (white or plain light blue) and whatever tie works for each will see everyone through just fine.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for all the congratulations. I am leaning toward just having everyone wear the same boutonniere--this is what I wanted at first before the madness of wedding planning set in. I tried the 'independant best' line as guidance, but everyone is asking me to simply direct them. One of my best men has no suits at all, so he'd like help deciding what to get.

I thought everyone would be happy not having to wear tuxedos. Now that they're being asked to wear suits, they're all panicking and don't know what to do.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Avoid overt matches--- dark suits or even blazers for the gents, simple shirts (white or plain light blue) and whatever tie works for each will see everyone through just fine.

I realized my original post neglected to point out that I was referring only to my groomsmen.

Also, my shirt color an issue. Would light blue be too informal? For what it's worth, Mariano Rubinacci, who picked out my suit with me, feels very strongly I should wear a white collar.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Matching lapel flowers is plenty. If everyone is dressed well this will look a lot better than everyone in matching rented tuxedos. If you have the kind of friends that own tuxes, then maybe it would make sense to go that route.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Matching lapel flowers is plenty. If everyone is dressed well this will look a lot better than everyone in matching rented tuxedos. If you have the kind of friends that own tuxes, then maybe it would make sense to go that route.

They all own tuxedos (including myself), except for one of the best men--and he was disappointed about not having the excuse to buy one.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I realized my original post neglected to point out that I was referring only to my groomsmen.

Also, my shirt color an issue. Would light blue be too informal? For what it's worth, Mariano Rubinacci, who picked out my suit with me, feels very strongly I should wear a white collar.

This should be the time to wear a white double-cuffed shirt.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound like you've got the right idea. I wore a midnight blue suit with a lavender, grey, navy striped tie over lavender shirt at my wedding. My groomsmen wore dark suits and white shirts. Save the matching outfits for the bridesmaids.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads