• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting married need some direction

doublemazaa

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm getting married in about 4 months and need to start to figure out what I'm going to wear. I'm a short skinny guy, 5'8", 120lb.

It's a Friday evening wedding. Wedding ~5:30, party etc until around 11 or 12.

I'm thinking nice suit over tuxedo for repeat wearability and because it'll be in Seattle where things aren't as formal as they are everywhere else. Plus, we're not a super formal couple. I'm a half tshirt/jeans and half jcrew button down/jeans/wingtips kinda guy.

Currently just have a cheap black suit that fits me ok, but I see this as an opportunity to spend a bit of money on a new suit and whatever needs to come along with that.

My budget isn't huge, would like to stay around $500 if possible, maybe upto $1000 including everything (shoes, etc).

Can you guys recommend some looks?
Thanks!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Navy suit, white shirt, silver tie, white pocket square for a simple elegant look and it photographs well. Charcoal grey can look very sharp as well.

Or if you want to be a bit more casual, more guys seem to like wearing tan suits for spring or summer weddings with a white shirt and a tie with a simple pattern but nice colors. Try Brooks Brothers for one of their summer suits in your budget.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are you? 38s or there about?
Check this forums B&S and post something in wtb.
Sex it up with peak lapels or a slightly unique fabric so it does not look like a business suit.
Don't be afraid of a slightly fashion forward suit like jill Sander or the like. Check out yoxx and perhaps ask this question on SW&D, depending on who is answering you might get some decent answers.

Buy a white silk pocket square from Kent Wang and a wedding tie (search for that term, I think Manton might have an article on the subject). If you can't find the prefect pair of shoes on B&S, spend what it takes to get them new. Up to 500$ for shoes alone with your budget is worth it. 500$ for the suit off B&S, 100 for tie and pocket square, another 100 for tailoring and you're there at only a few hundred over budget.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody will be looking at you anyway, so props for thinking longer term. You need a staple suit, from the sounds of it, which means navy blue or charcoal. I'd stay away from any color in the suit, so as not to distract from the bride. That leaves a nice charcoal suit as a solid option. You have a substantial number of options in your range, so hang around awhile, check out WAYWRN for inspiration.

doublemazaa

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm more like a 34 in jacket. (just measured, tape pulled tight right under my arm pits, if tape is still supposed to be loose, maybe ~35). I'm afraid that finding something my size will be difficult, either off the rack or on B&S. I actually already have a tux, which is too big. It's was my grandfathers. I wouldn't be opposed to putting some time into getting it to fit right, if it's salvageable. It measures ~36 around the waist. I wear a 28-30. This thins is probably from the 50s or 60s and may just look ridiculous these days. maybe not? If it's a lost cause; so be it. Even if it's not right for the wedding I wouldn't mind getting this tux working for me for other occasions. Sorry these aren't the greatest pictures. Please don't mind the thermal/carhartts.
IMG_5414.jpg
IMG_5415.jpg
IMG_5417.jpg
IMG_5419.jpg

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks too long in the first shot (but otherwise potentially salvageable). The second shot is useless to determine fit, as I presume you wouldn't be striking that pose at any kind of event where you aspire to be taken even remotely serious. The third shot reveals that, in fact, you need to buy a new suit.

:)

doublemazaa

Reaction score
All three shots are the tux jacket. It fits great through the shoulders, but is way too big through the waist. Not sure how much magic a good tailor can do for less than buying another decent tux. I edited the third photo to get a better fit shot. Last photo to show how much extra is through the waist. Thanks!

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Navy suit, white shirt, silver tie, white pocket square for a simple elegant look and it photographs well. Charcoal grey can look very sharp as well.

+10.

Also, burn the pants you are wearing in your photos. I find it quite amazing that pants exist that make a 120 lb guy like fat, but apparently, there they are.

doublemazaa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
+10. Also, burn the pants you are wearing in your photos. I find it quite amazing that pants exist that make a 120 lb guy like fat, but apparently, there they are.
Clearly you're not familiar with Carhartts and why one would need to wear them. You should be glad you can't see the shoes I was wearing. Definitely not SF approved.
smile.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double, Brooks Brothers does MTM within your budget. So the size and fit won't be an issue.
Plus you will have a nice suit to wear at other events.

doublemazaa

Reaction score
Is there a price/quality sweet spot in that neighborhood? I want to get as good value as I can. If it means adjusting budget to get a much better product, I'm willing to do it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the summer suits, like tan cotton blend will be the least expensive. A nice navy wool suit will cost more but will have year-round versatility.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most affordable suits that I find worth purchasing are Brooks Brothers 1818s. They have a few different fits that can be purchased for 2 for $1500. The absolute cheapest way you can get one would be to wait for the next sale (probably 25% off or something), then purchase 2 for $1125, then take one back. That would yield one suit for ~$560.

The only issue is going to be your size. If your chest really measures 34 inches, then you might not be able to fit in a man sized suit. Brooks Brothers does make suits for younger people. That might be workable for you.

doublemazaa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Double, Brooks Brothers does MTM within your budget. So the size and fit won't be an issue.
Plus you will have a nice suit to wear at other events.

How much are we talking here? Where can I get more info about Double? I can't find anything in google.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doublemazaa
How much are we talking here? Where can I get more info about Double? I can't find anything in google.

psg (pocketsquareguy) was referring to you (doublemazaa) I'm pretty sure.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka