• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GETTING IN SHAPE

demonsss

Reaction score
I've decided that I want to get in shape. I'm about 5'8" 185 lbs. Some enemies that are plaguing me right now are fried foods and alcohol. Like I've said in previous posts, I'm a social drinker, preferring nice liquors to beer, but I can't imagine any alcohol being good for getting in shape. My real concern is setting goals that are unrealistic for myself. Should I go cold turkey with the fried foods and alcohol, or is there a better way? Another thing I've faced in the past is trying to do too much too soon. I did upper body today and ran a mile, (I'm REALLY out of shape) because I figured if I ran more than a mile I wouldn't feel like running tomorrow. Sure, I have the willpower to stick it out and run a mile and a half or two miles a day, but what's better for me now? Also, what do people think of Metabolife, because my metabolism is awful, which has a lot to do with why I'm overweight. Anyway, thanks for all the help in advance.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with balance. It's the excess that kills you.

Add more exercise routine in your life: 5km walk/run, pushups, burpees, etc.

Join a rec league for sports! Go for it!

localmotion

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I had visible abs while i was alcohol free, but been social drinking over last year and they are gone, but also my diet got worse too. i'm older too >35 and aint' as easy to drop it fast now. but i'm made strides by limiting my drinks to whisky on the rocks and babying it, also rum and seltzer is another low cal option.

But best way for me food wise was to just limit my carbs and sugar and stay away from fried foods. also leave out breads. I still allow cheat meals on weekend, so it's like a reward. but the longer you do it, i don't really crave fried foods at all anymore. my downfall is a good burger, but been trying to do those "protein style" (lettuce wrap instead of bun).

Just following that generally got me down 10lbs, but i definitely do hit the gym 3-4x a week even if only for 30-45 min

J o s h

Reaction score
Mix things up by joining a yoga studio. Look for fusion, hiit or sculpt vinyasa classes. It's cardio and strength training - at the same time. And being around lean strong women will mitigate urges to eat badly post-workout.

I'm convinced that jogging and typical guy stuff in the gym does very little.

NoQualms

Reaction score
I'm a social drinker, preferring nice liquors to beer, but I can't imagine any alcohol being good for getting in shape.
Correct. The less alcohol you drink, the better.

My real concern is setting goals that are unrealistic for myself. Should I go cold turkey with the fried foods and alcohol, or is there a better way? Another thing I've faced in the past is trying to do too much too soon.
Quantify your current intake. Once you know how much fried food you're eating and how much alcohol you're drinking, chose a small increment by which you reduce that intake. Continue on that way to your own satisfaction.

I did upper body today and ran a mile, (I'm REALLY out of shape) because I figured if I ran more than a mile I wouldn't feel like running tomorrow. Sure, I have the willpower to stick it out and run a mile and a half or two miles a day, but what's better for me now?
Similar to your food, quantify how much you're exercising. Chose a small increment by which to increase your target each week. Reevaluate each week until you're satisfied.

Also, what do people think of Metabolife, because my metabolism is awful, which has a lot to do with why I'm overweight. Anyway, thanks for all the help in advance.
Weight-supplements are (optimistically) half a notch above useless. There's relatively little variation in human metabolism. If this is a sincere concern, visit your doctor and have your thyroid levels checked. What's more likely is that you're sedentary and eat more than you need.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads