• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting in and around Northampton, UK?

mussel

Reaction score
How far are the CJ, EG & JL factories away from the train station? And from each other? Do I need a car getting into and around Northampton? How's the public transportation there? Any bus services connecting the factories with the train transportation? Do I need to call ahead to arrange a taxi? Or I can just wave down one like in NYC?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enquired recently re. opening times, normal and Xmas:

Trickers:
Thank you for your enquiry.
We do have a factory shop. The normal opening hours are Mon to Fri 9.00am to 4.30pm.
However, over the christmas period we close on Thursday 21 December 2006 and reopen on Tuesday 2nd January 2007.
Regards
Gail Bull
Sales Office
__
C&J:
Our Factory Shop is normally open on Friday afternoons 2.00 to 5.30 p.m. and
Saturday mornings 9.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. However, the shop is closed for
two weeks over the Christmas and New Year period, i.e. 22nd/23rd December
and 29th/30th December. It will re-open on Friday, 5th January 2007.

Kind regards,
Crockett & Jones Ltd.
___
For transport etc why not bang out an email to the local tourist auth.; they're usually very helpful to visitors who are going to spend £ in the town.
I know the new international airport will have good connections once it's up and running.
Good luck.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same day round trip ticket from London Euston station costs almost $40, cab ride from station to JL about $10. It's about 1.5 miles between JL & EG. If you have 2 or more people it's cheaper renting a car than taking a train and cab. It's doable without a car but if you score a big haul you'd be better off with one, plus the convenience of come and go as you please and not having to negotiate train and Underground systems with several heavy shopping bags in tow.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Same day round trip ticket from London Euston station costs almost $40, cab ride from station to JL about $10. It's about 1.5 miles between JL & EG. If you have 2 or more people it's cheaper renting a car than taking a train and cab. It's doable without a car but if you score a big haul you'd be better off with one, plus the convenience of come and go as you please and not having to negotiate train and Underground systems with several heavy shopping bags in tow.

The last two times I went, someone from Edward Green picked me up at the station. They called a taxi and I went to the shoe museum. After the shoe museum, I caught a cab in the town square and went to the Lobb factory. The woman at the Lobb factory telephoned a taxi for me, but because it was 2(?) most of the cabs were busy taking children and their parents home from school. I caught a bus into town, then caught a taxi in the town square back to the station. Of course, all of this can be a bit of a pain if you have 3 or more boxes of shoes with you.

Bic

silent

Reaction score
there's a map on a german shoe forum with the location of the 4 outlets (+the EG factory which does not sell direct)
let us know how it turns out, I plan to go in march

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know how to post the map already marked with the addresses.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oi=eu_...thampton&hl=en

Just give in the addresses you want to visit, mark them and print the map. You don't need a taxi to get from the railway station into the (medieval) town centre. It's ten minutes walk from the station to the Guildhall (shoe museum). Then take a cab to John Lobb, thereafter walk down, direction town, and see C&J and Trickers on the way. Back in the centre again, a turn to the right takes you to Church's, to the left to Edward Green (appointment only).

From Lobb to C&J is about 15 minutes, then 10 to Trickers, then maybe 20 to either Church's (never been there) or EG.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads