• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Grensons, Not Sure About Sizing/Soles

MrPsellus

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I have weirdly shaped feet. I was a big kid, and I think my feet splayed a bit, and I have a pretty high instep. I can fit in to an American 12-I wear Bass Saddle Shoes in a 12 with substantial difficulty, and fit perfectly in to Converse High-Tops after a month of blood blisters. To be totally honest, I'm sensitive about my feet size-they kept me from some great shoes in the past.

I'm really in to Tan leather Grenson shoes, of the Fred-Sharp variety. Particularly the Sharp.

http://www.grenson.co.uk/sharp-2416
http://www.grenson.co.uk/shop/fred-v-670

The biggest difference I am sure about is the bit more brogue going back, but in other pictures there seems to be more of a difference.

I live in the American Mid-West, so my online suppliers of Grensons are limited, and I will be living in snowy-icy conditions for a long time. I'd prefer to get this with a boot sole, but I can't find the Fred V in a UK 12 anywhere besides Barney's, and Barney's is 50 dollars more expensive. And annoying.

I am concerned about sizing, so shipping/returns are an issue, so I'm probably going to buy the Sharps on Mr Porter
http://www.mrporter.com/product/177003
in a UK Size 12.

Does anyone have experience with these? Is there something weird about the sizing? Does anyone know how I could buy the Tan Leather Freds with the boot sole? Any reason I might fit in to a UK 11? I have not bought boots since I was a kid. Is there something different about sizing them?

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not what you're looking for, but free shipping both ways if you just wanted to test out their sizing (not that I'm telling you to do that :smarmy:):Grenson on bonobos

I have a pair of the Stanley, and they definitely fit large. Size down .5-1 based on my experience.

Last edited:

MrPsellus

Reaction score
Run large as in for a UK (making a 12 something like a 13.5) or running large for an American (making a 12 something like a 12)?

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Runs large for UK. I have 9.5UK and typically take an 11US. May have been able to squeeze a 9UK even, but meh they look good.

MrPsellus

Reaction score
So what are the odds that I would fit in to an 11? If it is about a 12.5, I might be, but if a 12 is really more like a normal 13 then that would be fine.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop squeezing your feet into shoes that are slightly too small. I know how it feels to be subconscious about your foot size (I wear a 12UK also) but comfort is better than your perception that a half size down will make a difference in appearance.

Walk comfortably, friend, or you will regret it later.

Trust.

MrPsellus

Reaction score
The primary issue here is not the size, so much as the sole. I really want a boot sole so I can wear it when it is a bit icy, but the Sharps have a plain leather sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads