Getting Grensons, Not Sure About Sizing/Soles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrPsellus, Oct 22, 2011.

1. MrPsellus

MrPsellus Member

Hey everybody,
    I have weirdly shaped feet. I was a big kid, and I think my feet splayed a bit, and I have a pretty high instep. I can fit in to an American 12-I wear Bass Saddle Shoes in a 12 with substantial difficulty, and fit perfectly in to Converse High-Tops after a month of blood blisters. To be totally honest, I'm sensitive about my feet size-they kept me from some great shoes in the past.

I'm really in to Tan leather Grenson shoes, of the Fred-Sharp variety. Particularly the Sharp.

http://www.grenson.co.uk/sharp-2416
    http://www.grenson.co.uk/shop/fred-v-670

The biggest difference I am sure about is the bit more brogue going back, but in other pictures there seems to be more of a difference.

I live in the American Mid-West, so my online suppliers of Grensons are limited, and I will be living in snowy-icy conditions for a long time. I'd prefer to get this with a boot sole, but I can't find the Fred V in a UK 12 anywhere besides Barney's, and Barney's is 50 dollars more expensive. And annoying.

I am concerned about sizing, so shipping/returns are an issue, so I'm probably going to buy the Sharps on Mr Porter
    http://www.mrporter.com/product/177003
    in a UK Size 12.

Does anyone have experience with these? Is there something weird about the sizing? Does anyone know how I could buy the Tan Leather Freds with the boot sole? Any reason I might fit in to a UK 11? I have not bought boots since I was a kid. Is there something different about sizing them?

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Not what you're looking for, but free shipping both ways if you just wanted to test out their sizing (not that I'm telling you to do that :smarmy:):Grenson on bonobos

I have a pair of the Stanley, and they definitely fit large. Size down .5-1 based on my experience.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  3. MrPsellus

MrPsellus Member

Run large as in for a UK (making a 12 something like a 13.5) or running large for an American (making a 12 something like a 12)?

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Runs large for UK. I have 9.5UK and typically take an 11US. May have been able to squeeze a 9UK even, but meh they look good.

5. MrPsellus

MrPsellus Member

So what are the odds that I would fit in to an 11? If it is about a 12.5, I might be, but if a 12 is really more like a normal 13 then that would be fine.

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

Stop squeezing your feet into shoes that are slightly too small. I know how it feels to be subconscious about your foot size (I wear a 12UK also) but comfort is better than your perception that a half size down will make a difference in appearance.

Walk comfortably, friend, or you will regret it later.

Trust.

7. MrPsellus

MrPsellus Member

The primary issue here is not the size, so much as the sole. I really want a boot sole so I can wear it when it is a bit icy, but the Sharps have a plain leather sole.