• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Grease out of a tie

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Today, I dropped some pizza and got a small grease spot on my tie. After researching solutions, I saw recommendations to put corn starch or talcum powder on it in hopes of absorbing the grease. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have any others suggestions?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
Today, I dropped some pizza and got a small grease spot on my tie. After researching solutions, I saw recommendations to put corn starch or talcum powder on it in hopes of absorbing the grease. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have any others suggestions?

I would just send it to a drycleaner you trust, or tiecrafters. Unless it's a tie you wouldn't mind losing, don't mess around with it yourself.

Preacher

Reaction score
If the cornstarch or power does not work:
I have used, believe it or not, "Goop" hand cleaner to remove automotive grease from a silk tie.
You can buy it at most auto stores and even some supermarkets, in the laundry detergent area.
Do not get the orange, just the regular. Rub some into the stain, let it set a few minutes, rinse it out with cold water, hang the tie on a towel hung over your shower bar, and let it dry.
No promises, but I have done it more than once, with no ill effects or staining of the tie.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have about an 80% success rate using baby powder. Goddards makes a powder specific for this but it is basically baby powder. Put a mound of powder on the spot, leave it for a couple hours and brush it off. Sometimes the results are perfect, sometimes not. I think it has more to do with the silk quality than the oil stain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads