• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

getting frustrated with my tailor

c_bourgeois

Reaction score
I went to the second fitting for a suit and found the the lower edge of the jacket was above my thumbnail, where I had asked him to put it at the first fitting.

At the third fitting, I just gave up and told him to make it 27 inches (from the floor) all around, hoping to take it to another tailor for adjustment.

He had been my favorite tailor and this was the second jacket he made for me. His end product is wearable.

But I don't think the emotional roller-coaster is healthy.

dk123

Reaction score
You have a rough life. Maybe time for suicide?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c_bourgeois

One hopes you are capable of enough introspection to realize that switching tailors is not going to solve your "emotional rollercoaster" problem vis-a-vis the process of tailoring.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the length of your hands changed between fittings ?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Maybe the length of your hands changed between fittings ?

+1

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dk123
You have a rough life. Maybe time for suicide?

Seriously. The lower edge was ABOVE your thumbnail??? I mean, there's no coming back from that, man.

facepalm.gif

retozimmermann

Reaction score
I went to the second fitting for a suit and found the the lower edge of the jacket was above my thumbnail, where I had asked him to put it at the first fitting.

At the third fitting, I just gave up and told him to make it 27 inches (from the floor) all around, hoping to take it to another tailor for adjustment.

He had been my favorite tailor and this was the second jacket he made for me. His end product is wearable.

I'm sorry, but maybe your tailor is as confused as I am now. Where did you want to have it exactly? Above the thumbnail? That would be correct in my book, at the first knuckle to be precise. Or did you want it precisely at the thumbnail? In any event, from your sentence I didn't completely get and and maybe I'm not the only one...

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

-LR

c_bourgeois

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
One hopes you are capable of enough introspection to realize that switching tailors is not going to solve your "emotional rollercoaster" problem vis-a-vis the process of tailoring.
one also would hope that you are capable of enough mental agility to realize that switching tailors might be precisely the solution, if the tailor is indeed slow to register the client's wishes.

sartorial_marxist

Reaction score

ever considered a revolution?
laugh.gif

c_bourgeois

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retozimmermann
I'm sorry, but maybe your tailor is as confused as I am now.

considering the quality of the other responses on this thread, I can see why.

Where did you want to have it exactly? Above the thumbnail? That would be correct in my book, at the first knuckle to be precise.

I was originally told it should be level with the bottom, i.e., tip of the thumb. Fashion designers are now making it much higher and reducing the armholes in a predictable attempt to generate sales by differentiating new styles from older. I refuse to go along with this, however.

More advanced fashion, for at least the last 10 years, especially among American black men, is to make the suit jacket almost as long as a 3/4-length overcoat.

... maybe I'm not the only one...

but if you were, could you stand the heat?

c_bourgeois

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
ak-yall-niggas-postin-in-a-troll-thread.jpg

If there is a "senior member" of this forum who doesn't know the correct definition of troll, then that explains why the shoe styles featured here went stale 20 years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads