Getting engaged tonight - am I missing anything?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by jrobjr, Mar 3, 2010.

1. jrobjr

jrobjr Senior member

I leave for the restaurant at 7:30pm EST. In my car, I have a box from Tiffany's containing a smaller Limoges decorative porcelain box. Inside the Limoges box is an engagement ring.

I plan to present her with the Tiffany box as a present after the appetizers, but before the entrees. She will open the outer box and I will tell her the Limoge porcelain box is an anniversary present. I will then incorrectly instruct her as to how to open the box (it is a difficult clasp). When she is unable to open it, I will go to her side, drop to one knee to examine the box, then open it and propose.

Flowers will be on the table, but nothing too alarming I hope. Staff will bring Champagne after the proposal. The restaurant is superb.

Am I missing anything? I have a couple of hours left to fill in the blanks.

P.S. For anyone who is preparing to propose, I strongly suggest delaying receipt of the ring until you have every detail of the proposal worked out. I have only managed to keep this one under wraps for a week - and that has been torture!

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Sounds cute. Mazel tov.

3. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

this all assumes she says "yes"

too cutesy for me.

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

Shower & shave. Good Luck[​IMG]

5. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Exciting. Enjoy the night!

6. celticgent

celticgent Senior member

enjoy the blowjob tonight.

it will be one of very few you'll receive again.

i kid.

not really.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

what if she figures out the clasp without skipping a beat?

8. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

what if she figures out the clasp without skipping a beat?

Yeah that was my thought too but I think it won't matter.

Good luck, have fun.

9. DNW

DNW Senior member

Good luck!

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

get some flowers and hand them to her before you guys even leave the house. "just because". Lube.

11. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

It sounds like a nice proposal, and I fully agree that the time between receipt of the ring and the proposal is torture.

Am I missing something with the use of the Tiffany's box, though? What's the point? It's like giving a girl a Hermes box with a scarf from another store inside. Seems a little, um, gauche. Alternatively, it's like giving a girl a Tiffany's box with a ring from another store inside. You're not giving her a Tiffany's ring. That's great, because it means you haven't wasted money on a Tiffany's ring. No need to pretend otherwise, unless, of course, I'm missing something.

12. jrobjr

jrobjr Senior member

It sounds like a nice proposal, and I fully agree that the time between receipt of the ring and the proposal is torture. Am I missing something with the use of the Tiffany's box, though? What's the point? It's like giving a girl a Hermes box with a scarf from another store inside. Seems a little, um, gauche. Alternatively, it's like giving a girl a Tiffany's box with a ring from another store inside. You're not giving her a Tiffany's ring. That's great, because it means you haven't wasted money on a Tiffany's ring. No need to pretend otherwise, unless, of course, I'm missing something.
    She knows this is coming so I am manufacturing surprise by running a false flag operation. The Tiffany's box contains a (very nice) Limoge porcelain box purchased from Tiffany's and contained within its original packaging. I manufactured a ring bed for the engagement ring, lined it in midnight blue satin.

13. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    enjoy the blowjob tonight.

Make sure you close the blinds.

14. swooc

swooc Senior member

missing violinists in the background.

15. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Wash your balls!

Actually, sounds like a good plan. I find the whole idea of proposal so awkward. You're made to follow this bizarre ritual where you hide and then reveal the ring, but only on one knee, and generally in a public place (greatly adding to your embarrassment in case of rejection). There's no hope for spontaneity, so your only bet is to somehow deliver an original take on the tried-and-true. Not easy.

My bet is that she susses out what's going on as soon as you present the box.