• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting dressed, do you take a long time.

CharlieZircon

Reaction score
I usually take 10 minutes to actually get dressed. Add 15 minutes shave, shower (I like a long hot shower). Where I find the time can really blow out is if I can't find the tie I need - I usually have one in mind - but with far too many ties, not very well organised, it can get time consuming to find the ONE.
I take longer than my wife to get dressed - something she has learnt to regard with amused tolerance.

rsp1

Reaction score
I recently began shaving in the shower -- definitely has shortened my daily routine by a few minutes.

Zubberah

Reaction score
It takes me about 10 minutes to get in and out of the shower, 4 minutes to get dressed, and 2 minutes to style my hair. If I'm getting dressed up, it takes much longer.
That's me too. Except I shave my head once a week (10 minutes). I get my clothes out and ready the night before (cufflinks already put on shirt) and that takes me 30 seconds. i use the rotation system where all my shoes, suits, ties, shirts , undies, socks, etc are rotated daily from the front to back.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 29 Aug. 2004, 12:26) ...How do you explain it takes me only 20 seconds to push them in my cuffs?
Um...Day after day of practice while the rest of us are working perhaps? PS: Â I actually wear a french cuff shirt with cufflinks while I am wearing my "joggings" (?) and sneakers...
tounge.gif
PPS: Â Where have you been ernest? Â Some of us have been speculating that perhaps you had gotten a job or have abandonded this forum in a protest of solidarity with Kalra. JJF
I have problems with my display and with my internet so I came less on the forum. I have no work but I will have 160 hours of english lesson (I hope can find a place by Berlitz) paid at 95% by state so I hope I will better explain my thoughts soon. You can practiced at work, try . I must be very skillfull...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PPS:  Where have you been ernest?  Some of us have been speculating that perhaps you had gotten a job
Does it mean none of you have a job?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(FIHTies @ 29 Aug. 2004, 10:27)
Originally Posted by ernest,29 Aug. 2004, 12:26
...How do you explain it takes me only 20 seconds to push them in my cuffs?
Um...Day after day of practice while the rest of us are working perhaps? PS: Â I actually wear a french cuff shirt with cufflinks while I am wearing my "joggings" (?) and sneakers...
tounge.gif
PPS: Â Where have you been ernest? Â Some of us have been speculating that perhaps you had gotten a job or have abandonded this forum in a protest of solidarity with Kalra. JJF
I have problems with my display and with my internet so I came less on the forum. I have no work but I will have 160 hours of english lesson (I hope can find a place by Berlitz) paid at 95% by state so I hope I will better explain my thoughts soon. You can  practiced at work, try . I must be very skillfull...
I find your English very easy to follow - you've definitely improved in these last few months. Congratulations.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 29 Aug. 2004, 10:02)
Originally Posted by FIHTies,29 Aug. 2004, 10:27
Originally Posted by ernest,29 Aug. 2004, 12:26
...How do you explain it takes me only 20 seconds to push them in my cuffs?
tounge.gif

I have problems with my display and with my internet so I came less on the forum. I have no work but I will have 160 hours of english lesson (I hope can find a place by Berlitz) paid at 95% by state so I hope I will better explain my thoughts soon. You can  practiced at work, try . I must be very skillfull...
I find your English very easy to follow - you've definitely improved in these last few months. Â Congratulations.
Thanks. I may have improved my english by posting on this forum but it remains rather poor as I do not understand half of what is said to me. For exemple, "jogging" in France means same pant+sweater for sport like a suit but for sport.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(FIHTies @ 29 Aug. 2004, 10:27) PPS: Â Where have you been ernest? Â Some of us have been speculating that perhaps you had gotten a job
Does it mean none of you have a job?
Not quite... Just got home from work. In Brooklyn, NY its 12:20 AM.
cry.gif
JJF

marc37

Reaction score
Forget the shower and shave parts gents. l am talking about getting dressed.

l can take ages to get dressed; it is really hard for me to decide what shirt & shoes l am going to wear. Sometimes l will have a suit on but l will take it off again to re-change the shirt, sometimes l will completely change a suit to wear a certain pair of shoes that day. l am always chopping and changing. Shirts and shoes are always hard to decide on. l am abit like Beau Brummel at times, l sometimes run alittle late because it is hard to get everything looking perfect and nice. l am always changing my mind on what to wear.

l can mess around for 30 minutes on deciding what to wear.

l don't always wear ties, when l do it will take another 20 - 30 minutes to get dressed. l find it takes ages to get the tie the right length. (l went to a prestigious private school and had lots of practice of tie tying, it still takes a long time though). Tying a tie vexes me something terrible.

marc37

Reaction score
That's me too. Except I shave my head once a week (10 minutes). I get my clothes out and ready the night before
ln Melbourne we can't leave our cloths out the night before, the weather is too unpredictable. The weather is getting warmer now so l will shave my head every week from now on too. Looks like non of the aussies have hair on their heads, l think Nick should follow suit and shave his head too.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
l don't always wear ties, when l do it will take another 20 - 30 minutes to get dressed. l find it takes ages to get the tie the right length. (l went to a prestigious private school and had lots of practice of tie tying, it still takes a long time though). Tying a tie vexes me something terrible.

I've got a simple trick for that - I drop the wide end of the tie down so that the end reaches exactly to the fork of my trousers. Tie the tie, and it's the perfect length every time. The reference point will probably be different for guys of varying heights - just figure out where it is, and you can tie your tie like LA Guy and me. Only takes a few seconds when you've got it down.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've come to the conclusion it's impossible for me to tell how long it takes me to get dressed, as the task is spread out amongst other tasks:

having got my trousers and shirt on, but not yet buttoned my cuffs and collar, this morning i changed diapers and dressed the two youngsters. then i managed to button the cuffs and collars, but i still didn't have my socks on. took the 2-year-old downstairs to get her shoes on, and i had some juice while she had milk. meanwhile i took my pocket square out of my shirt pocket, where i had it for storage (my daughter pulled it out and said "daddy what's-at?" and then stuffed it back in), and laid it across the gate at the bottom of the stairs. put on socks and shoes.

hung out a while watching blue's clues, waiting for the rest to be ready to go, then i put on my jacket and inserted the pocket square. finally...dressed. only took about an hour.

/andrew - multitasking

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It takes me a pretty short time to get dressed, perhaps 5 minutes at the very most, if I am picking something to wear. If I have already chosen something the previous day, then it takes several minutes. As for getting ready, it takes maybe 5-10 minutes at the most, which is actually quite a bit slower than it was in the past for me.

adirondaki

Reaction score
daily prep for work--
shower + shave: 10-15 mins
suit + tie + oxfords: 10-15 mins

total = 20 - 30 mins (variation occurs because of things like French cuffs, stays for collars vs. button down, bowtie vs. necktie, etc)

It's pretty much the same for dressy evenings; add 5-10 mins for tux (studs, detachable collar, waistcoat, bow tie, etc)

MUCH, MUCH less time than my spouse; probably half as long

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads