• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting dressed, do you take a long time.

marc37

Reaction score
Do other people take ages to get dressed for an occasion (work, outing)?

Do you chop and change when getting dressed?

Chimes

Reaction score
i take just about as long as my female friends.
lookaround.gif

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It takes me around 45 minutes if I'm going to wear a suit.

For everything else, it takes me 20.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three to five minutes.  Casual or streetwear takes 30 seconds (or less to coordinate), and another 2 to get on (most of the time taken up tying m shoe laces - I nearly failed that course in kindergarten).  A suit or sportscoat/pants, five minutes - 2 to coordinate, 3 to get everything on and straightened out.  Of course, having gone to Catholic school helps.  I can tie a perfect four-in-hand or half windsor in 30 seconds to a minute, if I'm taking my time.  At school, I used to be able to do a perfect knot in under 10 seconds, while running to class.

Edited for grammar.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've heard about the military guys with their ****-shower-shave routine that's supposed to take, like, 5 minutes. i just don't see it happening for me.

my big time sink is in the bathroom. boy was the plumbing tricky for that one. (HA. i kill myself.) ...from wake-up to exiting the bathroom door, usually 45 minutes to an hour. i am slow-moving in the morning.

dressing is usually pretty quick, although i sometimes watch the weather while i dress so i can pick an appropriate shirt. very infrequently i'll put something on and look in the mirror, and decide 'this is just not going to work today'.

/andrew

***edit: ps - and yes, my wife would say i take way too much time to get ready in the morning. "What do you DO in there...?" LET ME BE, WOMAN...i'm sleeping in the tub...

tsloop

Reaction score
I definitely take longer than any of my friends, but then again I also have to worry about more than what color of dickies is gonna match with what blue skater shirt. It usually takes me probably like an hour from start to finish if I am trying to look presentable, less than half that if I'm not doing anything.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to take forever, but these days, it's 5-10 minutes, max. I've stopped buying French cuffs for this reason - they take too darn long to put on.. Funny thing is, I think I look better when I get dressed quickly, the combo's I put together usually look better than they did when I put a lot of thought into it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beau Brummel's toilette in the morning took two hours. After shaving his valet would hold a mirror, and Beau would pluck out each offending hair that was missed. And then dressing took another two hours. His valet recalls a pile of cravats waist high that were discarded since Beau Brummel needed a perfect knot.
44d9fd77.jpg

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i get dressed in a couple of minutes, but i take long showers and it takes me forever to shave.

so in a way, yes, i do take a long time.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I plan what to wear while I'm in the shower. Usually I run through the occasion (date with Jennifer, meeting with the boss, casual day at the office). I often focus on a particular shirt (that new Jantzen stripe), tie (Carlo Franco's seven fold), or pair of shoes (the new C&J's) that I want to wear. In my mind, I build the outfit around that.

Once I get out of the shower, dressing is easy and takes less than 10 minutes.

Bic

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the question is how long it takes to get dressed, not showered and shaved, right?? Add in the shower and shave and I still take forever. I do NOT move quickly in the morning...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to take forever, but these days, it's 5-10 minutes, max. I've stopped buying French cuffs for this reason - they take too darn long to put on.. Funny thing is, I think I look better when I get dressed quickly, the combo's I put together usually look better than they did when I put a lot of thought into it.
If you guess it takes a long time too put cufflinks stop wearing ties and suits and start wearing joggings and sneakers.

Seriously, that's conception of a man who has never worn cufflinks.

How do you explain it takes me only 20 seconds to push them in my cuffs?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you guess it takes a long time too put cufflinks stop wearing ties and suits and start wearing joggings and sneakers.

Seriously, that's conception of a man who has never worn cufflinks.

How do you explain it takes me only 20 seconds to push them in my cuffs?

That is asinine (word of the day.) I own several pairs of cufflinks, and it takes me about 30 seconds to put the most intricate ones in. I can make a perfect (but not too perfect) halfwindsor or four in hand in 20 seconds flat (as I've explained before, years of Catholic school does that for you.) And yet I've worn a suit, um, twice this year, if you include New Years Eve. The other time was a wedding. I wear jeans and sneakers because I choose to - and because it's my style, not for any other reason (seriously, you can often get a good suit shirt and tie for about the same cash as it would take to get casual jacket, long sleeve tee, and a decent pair of jeans (plus, maybe a belt and some sneakers on sale.)

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...How do you explain it takes me only 20 seconds to push them in my cuffs?
Um...Day after day of practice while the rest of us are working perhaps? PS: I actually wear a french cuff shirt with cufflinks while I am wearing my "joggings" (?) and sneakers...
tounge.gif
PPS: Where have you been ernest? Some of us have been speculating that perhaps you had gotten a job or have abandonded this forum in a protest of solidarity with Kalra. JJF

Brian SD

Reaction score
It takes me about 10 minutes to get in and out of the shower, 4 minutes to get dressed, and 2 minutes to style my hair. If I'm getting dressed up, it takes much longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads