• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Compliments

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People are more frequent to comment on articles of clothing/shoes that deviate from the norm, rather than noticing subtlety. I have a sportcoat that I purchased my freshmen year of college from Banana Republic (predating Styleforum by three years)--its about an 1-1.5" too long, and made from a mediocre wool twill, but it has a nice taper, and the twill looks interesting with jeans.

During the spring and summer, I have a pair of English tan captoes with a floating medallion from Lidfort that always attract attention. They are definitely NOT the best constructed nor most expensive shoe in my wardrobe, but they are lighter colored and stand out. People love 'em. Contrast to my city boots from EG, which look like a black blucher under slacks or jeans. No one notices. I like it that way.

An even more telling thread, would be responses to watches and timepieces. My $30 Fossil has received 10x more compliments than anything else I own. My UNs? Unless I'm at a decent jeweler or watch store, no one has a clue. Again, I like that.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
I love that shoe -- the color and styling are damn near perfection. Is it not particularly well-made? I know J&M's aren't considered 'better' shoes, but are there specific construction deficiencies?

Mine bleed color onto my socks, and the leather went belly-up in less than a year. This for "made in Italy" J&Ms (which I like anyway).

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Mine bleed color onto my socks, and the leather went belly-up in less than a year. This for "made in Italy" J&Ms (which I like anyway).

Wow, too bad they're so poorly made -- the styling is so great! The AE Delrays are close, but I don't like the smooth finish on the leather -- too dressy for me.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a lot of compliments today on a solid gray 2-button Hickey Freeman suit that I bought on ebay for $50 shipped. Though, admittedly this is a really nice suit that I got a steal of a deal on on ebay. This suit probably retailed for over a grand.

BrooklynMike

Reaction score
I have this crappy $250 Men's Wearhouse suit that people seem to love. The only alterations I had done were shortening the sleeves and hemming the pants. Or maybe it's not that crappy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads