• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting back into the workforce after taking care of family

SchwererGustav

Reaction score
For the past few years, I've been taking care of my mother as she reaches seniority. It has been a full-time effort, and my brother and I have finally been able to settle into a plan where we can be sure she is well-taken care of. All of my other family lives in Europe, so a lot of the responsibility has fallen on us - myself especially, since my brother lucked out a few years ago with serendipity and left for Chicago. I now find myself in a position of wanting to enter the workforce, but my experience is lacking or potential employers note that I have a two year gap of "unemployment". (I've done some sales work on eBay and private jobs here and there in the meantime, but neither is significant towards starting a career.)

I graduated with a Master's in Public Affairs (International Development Administration being my specialization) in May 2012, did a couple of internships prior, and I ideally would want to work with the U.S. Department of State, but wouldn't mind working with an international NGO or non-profit. I am single and open to moving anywhere. I also have few possessions, so I could easily throw my stuff into a small U-Haul and begin work immediately. I want a career - something to dedicate myself to in order to be financially stable, and perhaps later starting a family of my own.

With so many options, I thought it would be easier. I am not tied down to anything, but being a caring son has seemingly tarnished my attractiveness employment-wise. Plus, being willing to work anywhere has cast my net far too broadly. I don't care where I go, as long as I can make a decent wage for myself in a government-type environment.

The jobs are out there, but how do get them? I'm applying wherever I can, but my inexperience is proving to be my biggest stumbling block.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inexperience is always crippling; your advantage is that you're old enough and bright enough to turn an entry level job into something much more significant very quickly. You may have to suck it up and enter in a position that should be bellow you, and basically make it your mission to prove your chops so fast that they can't afford not to promote you.

In terms of the caring thing; just make sure you sell it. Ok you didn't take a salary, but you essentially managed and ran a system where your budgets and resources had to be put to the best possible use.

Outside of the fact that managing a household for another person (who is in decline) is tough anyway, you will have gained organisation experience, the capacity to assess a situation and make judgements on the best way forward. You've worked out whats needed and gone through all the bureaucratic processes to make them happen.

In total honesty, your CV will be thrown out by 80% of employers. My advice is (and always is) try to meet people face-to-face. Good employers will almost always recognise when you have something to offer, but that is a million times harder on two sheets of paper.

Go back to your Alma Marta and talk to them about their employment schemes. Almost all of them will have facilities in place to help their MSc and PhD grads get work.

Don't be afraid to pick up and internship and leverage it into the job you want.

I'm not in your field (or continent) so I have no advice on that side of things, but I've been where you are, and mentored others who are where you are. There is work out there, you've just gotta put yourself it its path.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your situation, OP. You're a good son for doing what you did. Things will shake out, good things happen to good people. Best of luck.

If you feel the need to talk PM me.

Last edited:

papa kot

Reaction score
"I want a career - something to dedicate myself to in order to be financially stable, and perhaps later starting a family of my own."

If you ever visit a cemetery, try reading what is inscribed on headstones and you will see that titles, salaries and career achievements are rarely mentioned if at all.

As for financial stability, you have a golden opportunity right there. Take note at how you live at this momenet and continue doing the same when your income increases.

SchwererGustav

Reaction score
"I want a career - something to dedicate myself to in order to be financially stable, and perhaps later starting a family of my own."

If you ever visit a cemetery, try reading what is inscribed on headstones and you will see that titles, salaries and career achievements are rarely mentioned if at all.

As for financial stability, you have a golden opportunity right there. Take note at how you live at this momenet and continue doing the same when your income increases.

After attaining respectable employment, I do intend to keep living a very minimal life style. My two years working as an English teacher in South Korea and the traveling I did then taught me the benefits of living without the unnecessary "stuff". If only I could pass that on to my family. My mother grew up in communist Poland, and she will hold on to just about anything in the situation it would be useful later.

Regardless, wanting a career is still important to me. If I don't get that job, I doubt I'll have any family that'll be around to read my headstone.

An update: At this point, I'm facing the reality that I might have to take an unskilled construction position or teach English at an "academy" in the city. I have some acquaintances in the Middle East that suggest I look there, but that still leaves my mother in an unstable situation since my brother is starting to see care-taking as a nuisance to his lifestyle. I feel hopeless, and don't know what else I can do.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^^I admire that you've delayed starting your career in order to care for your mother. Much respect and admiration for you.

Although you were out of the workforce for a couple of years, you have good academic credentials and some, though limited, experience. I believe employers will understand your two-year gap as caring for aging parents is becoming more commonplace. Don't sell yourself short by not applying for positions consistent with your skill set. Seek help from your alma mater, as has been suggested, as well as consider a career coach.

You are in my neck of the woods, sort of. Don't hesitate to pm me for further discussion. All the best to you.

macksetyou

Reaction score
you have a golden opportunity right there. Take note at how you live at this momenet and continue doing the same when your income increases.
ca

Last edited:

Adorno

Reaction score
+1 to all of the advice that you seek aid from your alma mater. Their career services offices exist to help people like you. Having a lengthy period of unemployment for any reason makes getting started very difficult, as you are discovering. As others have said, face time is crucial. You will look weak on paper, but you come across as very genuine and hireable when you have a chance to explain yourself.

I know that you view moving as a possible concern for your mother's sake, but have you looked into the Foreign Service? It seems to be ideally suited for someone with your interests and background.

SchwererGustav

Reaction score
Adorno - I will be taking the Foreign Service Officer Test next week. I've taken it before - here's hoping my experience with it will lead to a success this time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads