• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting an Overcoat Made

Reborn

Reaction score

It looks beautiful but its not the most versatile style out there. Maybe nice for a 2nd or 3rd OC, but I wouldn't pick this as my first.

The only way it really doesn't work is conservative business dress. A business coat trying to go casual looks much worse than this coat dressed up.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only way it really doesn't work is conservative business dress. A business coat trying to go casual looks much worse than this coat dressed up.

Well, I guess we disagree - forget conservative business dress, this one doesn't even work for BD imo. A more traditional coat will be far more versatile.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It looks beautiful but its not the most versatile style out there. Maybe nice for a 2nd or 3rd OC, but I wouldn't pick this as my first.

It suits your style. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Ercole making it up for you?

Yes, Ercole is doing it for me. First fitting will be in a few weeks, he thinks it can be finished in three. As far as the versatility, I think you're right for most here GC, it is a bit over the top, and non-conservative business dress. I have very few pieces in my closet that ARE conservative business dress though, so I think for me it fits the bill perfectly. Just so you can better envision this, here's the vintage Scabal being used:
5b0987e9.jpg

e609d7cb.jpg

9d687924.jpg

Its about 30 years old, from when his dad ran the shop alone.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For reference, I have a 20-21oz Minnis DB overcoat that is ok until the teens. The cold penetrates the coat in the single digits and lower. I don't know the weight of your material but keep that in mind.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For reference, I have a 20-21oz Minnis DB overcoat that is ok until the teens. The cold penetrates the coat in the single digits and lower. I don't know the weight of your material but keep that in mind.

I'd say this is about the same, maybe a touch less heft (18oz?) which is why I chose the style as posted, if it gets that cold I'll layer underneath, and button her up. It just doesn't get cold enough often enough to justify going heavier.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say this is about the same, maybe a touch less heft (18oz?) which is why I chose the style as posted, if it gets that cold I'll layer underneath, and button her up. It just doesn't get cold enough often enough to justify going heavier.

I actually notice it more through the single layer back, particularly when the wind is strong. Currently the winter has been quite mild. I'm making up a shearling coat for the coldest days.

emptym

Reaction score
Cool fabric. Love the design from Taub too. Not sure if they'd go to together well though. I'm thinking people might call you Rob and the Technicolor Dream Coat. :) But I do agree that it suits your style well. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

rjsphd

Reaction score
Good luck. I think the military coat is a great look. I have a black great coat I got from BR a few years ago. Though the quality is not what I like, the coat design is perfect for long walks in (very) cold Boston weather. Please post pictures when you have the chance

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this thread too late; all the coats I was thinking about have already been posted. That Taub coat is a piece of work - good luck and keen to see the results!

Slippybee

Reaction score

Just so you can better envision this, here's the vintage Scabal being used:

e609d7cb.jpg

Its about 30 years old, from when his dad ran the shop alone.

Beautiful looking cloth :slayer:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you've made a great choice, Rob. That military coat looks the business. Eagerly awaiting pics of the finished item.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads