• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a suit for my graduation, needs help

Philipnorberg

Reaction score
Hello Styleforum.
Long time lurker, but now making an account and my first post.

I'm graduating soon, and thats why I need a suit.

But I am somewhat lost in the jungle of what suit to get. I would like to be able to keep my suit for a while and perhaps use it for job interviews etc.

What I have come up with is that I would like to have a dark gray suit along with a pair of brown shoes, the rest I haven't come up with.

Is dark gray okay? And what shirt/tie/suit napkin would fit the best?

All help is appreciated!

AceBoogie

Reaction score
Get a navy 2 button with notch lapels
Gray is fine if you really want it

I think you meant pocket square, not napkin

I suggest just lurking different threads a bit more

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SF. Dark grey or navy solid is the correct configuration for your first suit. I prefer dark grey myself.

A dark grey suit will work with most any dress shirt color including white, light blue, pink and lilac. As long as the tie works with your shirt, it will be fine with a dark grey suit. A grey/silver tie with a dark grey suit and white shirt can look a bit monochromatic, but Cary Grant pulled it off. YMMV.

Err on the conservative side and wear a blue or white shirt for job interviews and the like. Also, black oxfords (AE Park Avenue or similar shoe) are better than brown shoes for a job interview IMO. Many interviewers may not care, but black is more conservative and an interview isn't the time to show off your fashion sense. It's a time to put on something conservative, look presentable and let the focus be on your experience and qualifications, not your clothes.

Philipnorberg

Reaction score
Get a navy 2 button with notch lapels
Gray is fine if you really want it

I think you meant pocket square, not napkin

I suggest just lurking different threads a bit more
I actually had a look at some navy suits and now i cant decide which I will be going for!
Yes, pocketsquare, my bad :)
Welcome to SF. Dark grey or navy solid is the correct configuration for your first suit. I prefer dark grey myself.

A dark grey suit will work with most any dress shirt color including white, light blue, pink and lilac. As long as the tie works with your shirt, it will be fine with a dark grey suit. A grey/silver tie with a dark grey suit and white shirt can look a bit monochromatic, but Cary Grant pulled it off. YMMV.

Err on the conservative side and wear a blue or white shirt for job interviews and the like. Also, black oxfords (AE Park Avenue or similar shoe) are better than brown shoes for a job interview IMO. Many interviewers may not care, but black is more conservative and an interview isn't the time to show off your fashion sense. It's a time to put on something conservative, look presentable and let the focus be on your experience and qualifications, not your clothes.
Thank you! :)

Yeah I'm kinda torn between navy and dark grey at the moment. They both look awesome.

Should I be going for some sort of pattern or something?

And thanks for the shirt information!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for solid navy. Nothing heavy, even if on sale. I prefer lighter weight fabrics myself. Don't get a navy pin stripe for your first suit.

Keep it simple overall and go for a great fit. Nothing too tight or loose.

Good luck!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I'm kinda torn between navy and dark grey at the moment. They both look awesome.

Should I be going for some sort of pattern or something?

And thanks for the shirt information!

You're welcome. As for patterns, at a minimum your first two suits should be solids. Solids are more versatile and also call less attention to themselves. Save the patterns for once you already own a few suits. Dark grey and navy are both great colors.

Philipnorberg

Reaction score
Go for solid navy. Nothing heavy, even if on sale. I prefer lighter weight fabrics myself. Don't get a navy pin stripe for your first suit.

Keep it simple overall and go for a great fit. Nothing too tight or loose.

Good luck!
Thanks!
I guess wool is the best fabric to get in that case?
You're welcome. As for patterns, at a minimum your first two suits should be solids. Solids are more versatile and also call less attention to themselves. Save the patterns for once you already own a few suits. Dark grey and navy are both great colors.

Okey, cheers!

EDIT: What shirt combinations would you prefer with a navy suit and brown shoes?

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello Styleforum.

Long time lurker, but now making an account and my first post.

I'm graduating soon, and thats why I need a suit.

But I am somewhat lost in the jungle of what suit to get. I would like to be able to keep my suit for a while and perhaps use it for job interviews etc.

What I have come up with is that I would like to have a dark gray suit along with a pair of brown shoes, the rest I haven't come up with.

Is dark gray okay? And what shirt/tie/suit napkin would fit the best?

All help is appreciated!

If you have been lurking as you suggest, how come you cannot answer these questions for yourself?

What is a "suit napkin"? That really is a new term here!

Philipnorberg

Reaction score
Even though I've been lurking I am nowhere near good in color patterns etc. as some other people here, that's why I ask.

Haha, suit napkin, I just translated it straight from swedish because I had forgotten the right word :)

Balfour

Reaction score
Context is everything, e.g. what sort of jobs do you plan applying for, are you US based, etc.

Having said that, it's hard to go wrong with a plain navy or charcoal single-breasted two button suit. Plain light blue shirt > white most of the time.

As a personal preference, I prefer navy. Nicer in the evening as well. If you plan on getting a navy blazer, however, I would go with charcoal.

And - meant in good humour - "suit napkin"

crackup[1].gif

Do you mean a pocket square for the breast pocket of your suit? A nice touch. Think twice about it for interviews. Best option is white linen, despite the StyleForvm support for the Foo OneSquare.

Philipnorberg

Reaction score
Okey, cheers :)

Haha, suit napkin, I translated that straight off of swedish because I could not remember the exact word for it :D Pocketsquare, exactly!

Glad it made you laugh!

EDIT: Hope it sticks!

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
Me too - the next "office pants" (apparently a Forvm injoke before my time).

Thanks for taking my amusement in good humour. When I visit Sweden I am humbled that most Swedes seem to speak English better than many English people!

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. I don't think that I'd wear a suit to graduation. It's almost always smoldering hot outside, but if I was going to wear one, I'd go with a medium grey. It's nice in the daytime, and it's nice at night. IMO, outside of a business environment, really dark grey can be too serious in the daytime.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow. I don't think that I'd wear a suit to graduation. It's almost always smoldering hot outside, but if I was going to wear one, I'd go with a medium grey. It's nice in the daytime, and it's nice at night. IMO, outside of a business environment, really dark grey can be too serious in the daytime.

I love medium grey, but don't see how dark grey would be too serious in the daytime only outside of a business environment. If you can wear it to the office, it's just fine for graduation.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have fun with your graduation. I am very wary that you are getting a suit only because of such event.

BTW, I think the formality is the same between a white linen or silk, it just depends on what you like.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads