1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a new wardrobe. Will need a little bit of help from you fine gentleman!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BullionBro, Feb 4, 2012.

1. BullionBro

BullionBro Well-Known Member

Below is what I plan to buy:

Pants:
    Brooks Brothers Advantage Chinos (Milano) fit. Navy Blue + British Tan

Shoes:
    Alden Chukka Boots (Snuff Suede) color

Are my choices good or what can be changed? Also I am looking for pointers on what style of shirt and belt I should buy?

Thank you and I would really appreciate any feedback. [​IMG]

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

More info please, what area do you live in? Do you live in a city or suburb? What field of work are you in? Describe your appearance ( or even better a photo ). What occasions are you planning to dress for? This will speed things along...

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

wardrobe or outfit?

4. BullionBro

I just moved to Dubai. I am a Nurse Practitioner. I am 5 ' 6 medium built. I plan to dress nice for all occasions. Right now I am working on a new casual outfit and wardrobe.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  5. BullionBro

In this thread I am looking for an outfit. If I feel the style suits me well I plan to buy an entire casual wardrobe.

After my casual wardrobe is ready I plan to start buying my suits (which will be very complicated for me)

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Why is that?

7. msart84

msart84 Well-Known Member

I hope something aside from Brooks Brothers pants and a pair of Aldens will be involved in this outfit.... Perhaps a shirt?

8. applky

applky Senior member

Haven't you seen Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol?

[​IMG]

9. BullionBro

Its hard to find a good place to purchase good bespoke or made to measure suits under $700. I hear mixed reviews about indochino which was my first choice.

10. BullionBro

Im looking for tips as to what shirts I should buy. Looking for long sleeve sport shirts. Not sure if thats what they are called. Some shirts that are good for hot sunny days. Any great quality recommendations would be highly appreciated.

11. BullionBro

12. msart84

msart84 Well-Known Member

13. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

I'd suggest going MTM at modern tailor for the shirts and take all the money you save there, put it towards your suit.

14. Sander

Sander Senior member

15. asturiano

asturiano Senior member

where do you buy Brooks Brothers and Alden in Dubai?

16. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

I agree that you could do well at Brooks Brothers. My preference is for shirts that do not have the logo on them. While my favorite shirts from them are the OCBDs that Sander referenced, it sounds like you are looking for lighter-weight shirts.

If the fabric is less formal, like oxford, chambray or linen, then solids are good for casual or "business casual": light blue (especially ), pink, ecru, white, really any light color. I feel like solid colored poplin/broadcloth works better for true "business attire" shirts. These are a cheaper alternative, if they fit.

After you have several solids, I would prefer checks over stripes (which, again, seem more "business attire" to me).

If they fit you, I think the Black Fleece shirts are even better than the regular Brooks. I think they'll put their spring shirts out in the next few weeks. They're also more expensive

The only downside to linen is that it will wrinkle, but that's also its charm.

For belts, I think Equus Leather (whose owner is a member here) is a good choice for casual belts.

1 person likes this.
  17. BullionBro

They have brooks brothers at Harvey Nichols dubai store in the dubai mall

18. BullionBro

Thanks! a little over my budget if I buy several shirts. Hopefully a sale comes soon!

19. asturiano

asturiano Senior member

Thank you. Although I think you mean Mall of the Emirates. I would avoid Harvey Nicols as prices are 2 or 3 times more than USA. Why don't you have a couple of shirts made by one of the local tailors? Buy the fabric in Deepaks or Rivoli (Alumo.) and have them made for USD20-25 per shirt.

20. BullionBro

Modern tailor will ship worldwide. do you think their quality is as good as brooks brothers?

I really like this material : http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...FC_CJ_VigLink_Brooks+Brothers+Product+Catalog

which material in moderntailor will match this fabric look and quality?

and my last question. I prefer to always roll up my sleeves. Is this ok or are these better without rolling up sleeves?