• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a navy blazer made in a third world country

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father is going to a third world country next week and I am thinking of asking him to bring me back a navy blazer. I think it's worth it since I don't have this staple in this wardrobe and a 100% wool blazer can be made for about $50 or so probably.

Even if it doesnt work out it won't be much money lost.

Anyways, I was wondering what things I should write down for the blazer. So far I have:

- 2 button
- 'slim fit'
- side vents
- notch lapels

In particular, how wide should I get the lapels? I am a slim guy, 6'0 and 155 lbs and it will be worn with my Howard Yount trousers which are on the slim side also. Also, what kind of buttons? I don't want gold buttons though.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As for working out my size I am just giving measurements of my neck, waist, hips, biceps etc. and am hoping it comes back remotely fitting me. From there perhaps get it altered here to fit really well. Are there any other key measurements that I should give? I know shoulders are critical for a blazer.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My father is going to a [COLOR=FF00AA]third world country[/COLOR] next week and I am thinking of asking him to bring me back a navy blazer. I think it's worth it since I don't have this staple in this wardrobe and a 100% wool blazer can be made for about $50 or so probably.
Even if it doesnt work out it won't be much money lost.
Anyways, I was wondering what things I should write down for the blazer. So far I have:
- 2 button
- 'slim fit'
- side vents
- notch lapels
In particular, how wide should I get the lapels? I am a slim guy, 6'0 and 155 lbs and it will be worn with my Howard Yount trousers which are on the slim side also. Also, what kind of buttons? I don't want gold buttons though.
Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
As for working out my size I am just giving measurements of my neck, waist, hips, biceps etc. and am hoping it comes back remotely fitting me. From there perhaps get it altered here to fit really well. Are there any other key measurements that I should give? I know shoulders are critical for a blazer.

That narrows it down^^^^...
At any rate, I would not do it. You need to be fitted for it to look decent.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend is going to North Korea next week and I am thinking of asking him to bring me back a navy blazer. I think it's worth it since I don't have this staple in my wardrobe and a hopefully 100% wool blazer can be made for about $10 or so probably.

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this will save you about 2 dollars, Mike! :slayer:

$500 vs $50 = $2 difference?

It's my first blazer, what's wrong in getting something of just decent quality instead of going all out? Maybe I won't even like wearing a blazer eventually so I won't be out of a lot of money.

I've seen the quality of the fabric and it's not that bad, I think it's better than department store stuff and obviously they'll have my measurements so it should turn out somewhat okay?

McPryon

Reaction score

Whisper..."He lives in China." He wasn't referring to your dilemma. Depending on the country you might get something that's okay, which is what you're expecting. I vote go for it.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
You have got to be able to come up with better humor than this thread.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's my first blazer, [COLOR=FF00AA]what's wrong in getting something of just decent quality instead of going all out? [/COLOR]Maybe I won't even like wearing a blazer eventually so I won't be out of a lot of money.
I've seen the quality of the fabric and it's not that bad, I think it's better than department store stuff and obviously they'll have my measurements so it should turn out somewhat okay?

Becasue it will look like **** unless you are there to be fitted....

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your money or his time. This is a clueless escapade.

The quality of the baisc garment for that money will be crap, the fit awful and the chances that you could "get it altered here to fit really well" are substantially less than zero.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don't waste your money or his time. This is a clueless escapade.
The quality of the baisc garment for that money will be crap, the fit awful and the chances that you could "get it altered here to fit really well" are substantially less than zero.

:nodding:

kturpin

Reaction score
Take from this what you will... I know "noobs" are often overlooked, or oppositely, senior members' opinions are highly regarded because of their post count, however, I have (almost) first hand knowledge of this subject....

A buddy of mine was in Thailand for a year and had a suit custom made. In short, upon first wear the suit tore and split in the butt seam of the trousers, and the blazer didn't hold up very well either. On top of that, it just looked like hell. Often times, we find ourselves trying to save a dollar by scouting online, or similarly, these forums for a good deal... however, this would probably fall under the 'dollar wasted' category.

"If it seems to good to be true, it probably is". I would recommend avoiding this all together. Put your $50 to better use and buy a couple cases of beer; it will last longer than that suit, and you'll feel a lot better about the purchase.

Cheers and good luck.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you be even more specific? To Bolivia? To Niger? To Laos? To Mississippi?

Pakistan

Hmmm seems like I might just skip it though after reading all of your responses. Thank you for your help guys.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pakistan
Hmmm seems like I might just skip it though after reading all of your responses. Thank you for your help guys.

Probably a good idea. The problem is that it's likely to fit very, very poorly. It could use the nicest fabric in the world--if it doesn't fit, it's not worth it. Definitely skip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads