• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a life

gimmickimo

Reaction score
How does an early 20s male get a life? My parents controlled my every move til I was 18 and I became a bit of a hermit. Obviously there is no excuse to have continued that trend into my 20s but I didn't go to college, instead went straight to work and feel that hurt my social life a bit. I used to have a small group of friends in high school but when they got into hard drugs I quit hanging out with them. I now have two friends, one who just left for the military and another whom I hang out with occasionally but don't go to bars etc. with because he doesn't drink socially.

My days typically consist of working then coming home and playing drums then watching TV or reading (I am interested in stock trading so I read a lot of trading books). My friends and I also like golf, camping, fishing, etc. but I don't go often for the reasons mentioned above.

Aside from not having any friends I'm really not a freak or weird dude. I'm a normal looking guy and am comfortable in crowds, around girls etc. I make conversation with my coworkers and the students (who are around my age but I'm not allowed to date or hang out with them) at the school I work at. I have a great sense of humor and people seem to get along well with me. I don't have a problem with talking with people, I'm just never around people in my demographic who I can make plans with or whatever.

I was thinking of joining a club or group for golf or tennis or something. I live by a university, is going to a bar by myself and finding groups of people to talk to a decent idea? Any other suggestions?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** this.

NVM

Wiker

Reaction score
I feel you...

Maybe you could take some intresting courses at the university.
Or you could try online dating, even if you dont find your soulmate you could find a friend?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to school, join clubs/interest groups

TheD0n

Reaction score
My advice is to go places. Volunteering is a great way to meet people. Go to events at the university like guest speakers. Instead of reading at home, read at a coffee shop or the university commons and spark conversation with people around you abuot what they are reading/studying.

Don't go to a bar by yourself; bars are not a good place to meet people. I recommend meeting people in person rather than online. Just get out and talk to people, which it seems you don't have a problem with.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
where do you live? that's a big question, cus moving to a big city is always a good idea for independence and new experiences.

TheD0n

Reaction score
I second the advice to move to a big city. My route through college was similar to yours, OP, and I just moved from a college town to Chicago to gain independence (and a life).

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quit going home from work just to watch TV and play the drums. Find hobbies that involve being around like minded people. Make friends with people you work with.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Join a band that needs a drummer and become famous, you'll have chicks (or dudes if you prefer) all over you.

Then come back when you need advice on how to drop your coke habit and just "want it all to go away!"

And in 30-40 years we'll see you on VH1 (yes it will still be around, even after WWIII) on a top 100list of some sort. Good times.

freeAgent

Reaction score
Joining a tennis or golf group sounds like a good idea. I'm not the type to hang around at bars trying to meet people...not sure I'd recommend that. Does your friend have other friends? Once you've got a small circle, you can start networking with their friends to increase your own social circle. Having people over (like BBQ'ing), going to movies, or pretty much doing anything at all with other people are good ways to do this. Once you start getting invited to other people's events it's a lot easier.

robbz9206

Reaction score
bro... download a free demo of ableton live and make beats and start listening to drum and bass HARD>

liike netsky, danny byrd, logistics, and just go see the best shows in the city. You will get drunk and have the best time. also, get a few friends that are girls just to be friends with and have them introduce you to their friends. Who should be hot. cause you got to have standards.

just dont stop moving
devil.gif

word

Reaction score
you play drums? join a band gig the guitarists and/or singers will still get the women, but at least you won't be stuck at home wallowing in your sorrow
Originally Posted by robbz9206
bro... download a free demo of ableton live and make beats and start listening to drum and bass HARD>
No, I'm tired of electronic music being saturated with **** because some kid does this after they hear afx or luke vibert (as plug) for the first time.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly, there's very little chance you'd be able to evercome your earlier formative years...we are what we are, largely due to our conditioning/environment

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads