• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

getting a dog

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to Bernese Mountain Dogs, overwhelmingly they are extremely sweet, gentle dogs in my experience. Many years ago some lines were prone to being shy-sharp--at least that was the reputation they had when I was a kid about 60 years ago. Perhaps this is why they are on the Auto Club of Southern California's list of "evil" dogs they won't write homeowner policies for. Seems pretty incomprehensible to me. As I said, all those I've met have been sweethearts.

Usual complement of "big dog" health problems--bloat, dysplasia, early-onset cancer. I don't think too many of them make it past age eight or so.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need something like this:
IMG_0389.jpg
He's rather wound and very territorial (imagine a 120 lb AST/APBT). But the kids like him.

Kempt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
berners ******* own

Berners have an average lifespan of 7-8 years, just enough time to become extremely attached and watch them go.

They are also a very "trendy" breed right now which means some people are unscrupulously trying to make a buck. You have to look long and hard to find a line and possibly wait a year or more for a puppy, also expect to pay good money.

I'm surprised one of the recommendations in this thread has been for a Boxer, as I understand it they are one of the most unhealthy dogs in the US, and as mentioned trying to find one from a breeder in Europe can be tricky/expensive.

My own personal experience with Golden Ret is not what I would call extensive, but still I've never met a dog aggressive one.

Your best bet for finding a dog as just a companion if you want a pure breed in my opinion is to try and find one that matches what you want but is also not as popular. Popularity tends to ruin breeds as it tends to propagate unfavorable characteristics into the various lines (health and personality wise).

As for for loyalty, a funny story about my old English Springer. Whenever the delivery people (fedex etc) would show up if I didn't hold him, he'd run out of the house and jump right into their truck and plant himself right next to the drivers seat ready to go. Not a loyal bone in that dog's body, friendliest dog ever but he'd help someone rob the place clean.

Given that was my first dog, the experience stuck. I decided I'd never get a breed that would make someone think twice about petting it or have a mother and her kids cross the street to avoid it even though I do have an appreciation for many of those stereotyped breeds.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kempt
Berners have an average lifespan of 7-8 years, just enough time to become extremely attached and watch them go.

They are also a very "trendy" breed right now which means some people are unscrupulously trying to make a buck. You have to look long and hard to find a line and possibly wait a year or more for a puppy, also expect to pay good money.

Sad but true. The short lifespans just seem to be more and more true of dogs in general. If it were just a giant-breed thing, it would be more bearable.

I'm surprised one of the recommendations in this thread has been for a Boxer, as I understand it they are one of the most unhealthy dogs in the US, and as mentioned trying to find one from a breeder in Europe can be tricky/expensive.
Rather my impression as well. As the most dog-wise of my friends said, "I'd recommend a pound dog, any pound dog, over a Boxer." About half the Boxers I see have skin tumors. Those I encountered in training classes were uncontrollable screwballs. Lefty has posted some pictures of good European Boxers, and I'll take his word that they exist, but finding one might be an uphill struggle. A pity in all--good-looking dog, very expressive face, nice size.

My own personal experience with Golden Ret is not what I would call extensive, but still I've never met a dog aggressive one.
I've met plenty. In addition to the incident I mentioned, there were a couple of males in my neighborhood that were just spoiling for a fight with my first Tosa, Zuma. It may just run in lines we have out here in California, though. Not all of the Goldens out here are fight-crazed. Some did display the breed's characteristic benign, pacific temperative, but I've met enough of the aggressive ones to know they're out there and not that uncommon.

Your best bet for finding a dog as just a companion if you want a pure breed in my opinion is to try and find one that matches what you want but is also not as popular. Popularity tends to ruin breeds as it tends to propagate unfavorable characteristics into the various lines (health and personality wise).

As for for loyalty, a funny story about my old English Springer. Whenever the delivery people (fedex etc) would show up if I didn't hold him, he'd run out of the house and jump right into their truck and plant himself right next to the drivers seat ready to go. Not a loyal bone in that dog's body, friendliest dog ever but he'd help someone rob the place clean.
Tessa, my last Tosa, tried to clamber into the UPS truck right after I adopted her. I think many drivers keep treats in their trucks to chum up dogs, and that may be the attraction.

Given that was my first dog, the experience stuck. I decided I'd never get a breed that would make someone think twice about petting it or have a mother and her kids cross the street to avoid it even though I do have an appreciation for many of those stereotyped breeds.
Some people are going to be afraid of your dog no matter what. I had a pal at Oxford who was phobic about both dogs and cats. He cowered against the wall when a cat came near and again cringed back when a cute little Jack Russell-type came bounding down the road. Another time when my little Tosa Jessie was a half-grown puppy and looked about as menacing as a child's toy, she and I were leaving an obedience class and walked by some people when this big, buxom blonde ran shrieking in terror into the streets. I can sympathize in a way with people who are afraid of dogs. I am very phobic about snakes, even when I can recognize they are harmless.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
IMO get an australian cattle dog. smart, fun, long lived and their relative unpopularity means many quality lines exist. they are also tough as nails, are incredibly loyal and are a ton of fun.

jase12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
IMO get an australian cattle dog. smart, fun, long lived and their relative unpopularity means many quality lines exist. they are also tough as nails, are incredibly loyal and are a ton of fun.

love blue heelers. but really, unless you have acerage, they aren't going to get the exercise they need are they?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jase12
love blue heelers. but really, unless you have acerage, they aren't going to get the exercise they need are they?

you have to work at it, but it can be done and is a great excuse to get out of the house. we did agility, herding and frisbee work with ours and it was a great experience for everyone involved

Kempt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Some people are going to be afraid of your dog no matter what. I had a pal at Oxford who was phobic about both dogs and cats. He cowered against the wall when a cat came near and again cringed back when a cute little Jack Russell-type came bounding down the road. Another time when my little Tosa Jessie was a half-grown puppy and looked about as menacing as a child's toy, she and I were leaving an obedience class and walked by some people when this big, buxom blonde ran shrieking in terror into the streets. I can sympathize in a way with people who are afraid of dogs. I am very phobic about snakes, even when I can recognize they are harmless.

I guess I wasn't speaking specifically about people that are dog phobic. As you said, looks don't really matter in that regard. However, there are a lot of breeds that due to their stereotypes people will not only just be cautious about, but actively avoid. That's not to say I'd expect strangers to run up to my dog and just start molesting it necessarily because it's a "friendly" looking breed.

Offtopic: I never really understood unfounded fear of dogs. Granted if a person was bit at one point, maybe as a child I guess I could see it. It seems most creatures that people have common fears of (snakes, spiders etc) were at one point, even up to a hundred years ago, potentially quite dangerous/deadly. Dogs on the other hand have been domesticated for an extremely long period of time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads