• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

George Clooney Kiton Suit for sale on Ebay!

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
16,830
Reaction score
2,961
I saw this on Ebay. It's a very nice Kiton(which it certainly should be) that was worn by George Clooney in a scene for the movie "Intolerable Cruelty"(not one of his well known movies)! Start bid of $2500!

My question is. Does the fact that Clooney wore this suit add any value in your opinion? Personally, I would rather have a NWT Kiton, that is unaltered. As a matter of fact, I think the price is too high for an altered Kiton. What do you think?

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brown-Super-150s...QQcmdZViewItem
 

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
134
Originally Posted by rnoldh
My question is. Does the fact that Clooney wore this suit add any value in your opinion?

No.
 

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
4,078
Reaction score
12
Originally Posted by rnoldh

My question is. Does the fact that Clooney wore this suit add any value in your opinion?


I don't collect clothing but to a collector provenance is everything. Witness Kiton's purchase, for a fortune at auction, of the DOW's clothing. The person who buys Clooney's suit probably won't ever wear it.
 

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
5,589
Reaction score
7
and, short of testing any DNA residue left behind, how is it even really verifiable that Clooney wore it in the first place. If this sells at that price, I have a cigar of Bill Clinton's for sale. I just gotta doctor up an official White House letterhead here real quick...
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,118
Reaction score
1,110
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
and, short of testing any DNA residue left behind, how is it even really verifiable that Clooney wore it in the first place.

If this sells at that price, I have a cigar of Bill Clinton's for sale. I just gotta doctor up an official White House letterhead here real quick...


Premier Props, I believe, is a well-established firm, and could verify the authenticity. I suppose there'd still be a tiny question that it wasn't the one actually seen on film -- a spare, or something -- but seems like that could be true of any collectible textile of this nature.
 

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
16,830
Reaction score
2,961
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
and, short of testing any DNA residue left behind, how is it even really verifiable that Clooney wore it in the first place.

If this sells at that price, I have a cigar of Bill Clinton's for sale. I just gotta doctor up an official White House letterhead here real quick...


If you read the listing you'll see that the seller has a a genuine looking COA and some other documentation supporting the George Clooney provenance. I still think the Kiton is way overpriced!

Now as to that Bill Clinton cigar you have. Does it have Bill's DNA, Monica's DNA or both on it. Now, that would really be a collector's item!
 

GMF

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
I may have to rent this movie just to see if Clooney's character is someone who would realistically wear a $6000 suit.
 

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
5,589
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by rnoldh
If you read the listing you'll see that the seller has a a genuine looking COA and some other documentation supporting the George Clooney provenance. I still think the Kiton is way overpriced! Now as to that Bill Clinton cigar you have. Does it have Bill's DNA, Monica's DNA or both on it. Now, that would really be a collector's item!

thats the operative word, IMO edit: in the interest of full disclosure, I am a hardcore ebay skeptic. When you spend lots of time and money collecting rare and discontinued men's fragrances, it hardens your soul. Spending $200 on a bottle of water has made me very cynical.
 

topbroker

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2006
Messages
710
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by GMF
I may have to rent this movie just to see if Clooney's character is someone who would realistically wear a $6000 suit.


Yup. He is. The character's vanity is a major theme -- the movie opens with him having his teeth ultra-platinum whitened.
 

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,831
Reaction score
1,380
Why does the screen capture of Clooney depict a low gorge while the photo of the suit alone depicts a high gorge? Do you think posture can make such a great difference?
 

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jan 6, 2003
Messages
4,582
Reaction score
15
It just another overpriced ebay used suit.



Anyways, this auction is mildly interesting just because I've always figured those were Kiton suits Clooney was wearing in the movie. BTW, I enjoyed the movie. I'm obviously no movie connoisseur, but I thought it was worth watching.
 

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,831
Reaction score
1,380
It is by far the worst Coen brothers film. I'm really not sure what happened here; it lacks all the trademarks of their previous work. It's as if they were reaching for the old, over-the-top, slapstick comedy of Raising Arizona and failed miserably. Good thing The Ladykillers has put them back on the right track.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
48
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Why does the screen capture of Clooney depict a low gorge while the photo of the suit alone depicts a high gorge? Do you think posture can make such a great difference?

I haven't seen the movie. But it looks like he's leaning pretty far forward in that photo of him.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
425,952
Messages
9,160,147
Members
192,407
Latest member
bighomiee1

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top