• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

George Cleverley Anthony Cleverley Models

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sole is very different, more akin to Gaziano & Girling than EG for example.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apart from the lasts and leathers, are there any structural or other differences between EG’s own shoes and those it makes for Cleverley? I was told that EG makes the AC pairs.
I definitely have heard the above, (and someone on this forum even saw the boxes at EG!), but the shoe is structurally so different from EG - sole, heel, and general finish - but a give away is the cut-out with the model name and size. But AC have a great deal here as it is so different from any EG, whereas their standard line is clearly rebranded Crockett`s.

AriG

Reaction score
Just received my first pair of ACs this week. My favourite colour just happened to come in stock in my size at Cleverley. Thanks to Adam Fry for shipping them down. It is the Nakagawa style in steel antique.

Simply a work of art, the radical squareness of the toe will take some getting used to (even though I am a chisel toe guy, these take it to the next level for me). I think it makes them very formal indeed, combined with the sleek, thin beveled sole. Just something I have not seen yet. They feel extraordinarily light too and I think this has been mentioned before.

They fit beautifully. For reference, my best fit is the G&G MH71, and these in the same size have same room in the toe (maybe just slightly more), better fit in the arch and very comparable in the heel with a slightly lower instep (at least so it felt out of the box).

AC1.jpg
AC2.jpg
AC3.jpg
AC4.jpg

mrbig

Reaction score
Fantastic colour on those. What size are you in these and other makers? Trying to figure out what size to order myself!

AriG

Reaction score
I'm the same size 7E in C&J (348/337), Carmina (Rain), G&G (MH71), George Cleverley (rtw), AC, A.Testoni, Paul Smith; I own some Guccis from way back and they are 6.5UK. I will say that the C&J are a good, but not optimal fit for me, they are too wide in the heel, but the instep is too low for me to size down. Carmina Rain is slightly small. G&G are the best fit, followed by AC.

AriG

Reaction score
Agreed, the more I look at them at them too, they don't seem that square. But, they are the squarest I have, so probably first impression bias. Also, the straight cut sole might stress it more.

In reality, I think they might be just slightly less squared (and less tapered) than a TG73 or Square Deco.

AC5.jpg

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Word on the street is that they’re made by Edward Green.

Do you mind telling us how much they were?

AriG

Reaction score
Have no info otherwise on who they are made by.
I paid 880gbp ex VAT.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are those price with promotion though? Think this is about the time all the UK guys are doing sales (CJ/EG at least)

AriG

Reaction score
Yes, directly from store. Wasn't informed of any promotion. Again though, ex-VAT means in-store price would be 1050£. Not sure whether EG listed online prices are ex-VAT too.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I contacted Cleverley directly, and they only have one sale per year, and that's in December.

Chowkin

Reaction score
Yes, directly from store. Wasn't informed of any promotion. Again though, ex-VAT means in-store price would be 1050£. Not sure whether EG listed online prices are ex-VAT too.

EG listes online prices include VAT. Unlike Anthony Cleverley shoes which come with lasted trees, EG shoe trees are extra and not lasted.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SIZING

@AriG or other recent owners of Cleverleys AC line.

Can anyone comment on sizing for Anthony Cleverly shoes vs Edward Green and G&G?

I spoke with the sales person and all he would say is they are a snug fit vs the Cleverley RTW line. He declined to even mention the competition.

Would you size up by width or length? For AC vs EG or GG

Alan Bee

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads