1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

George Cleverley Anthony Cleverley Models

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Maverick972, Oct 9, 2010.

1. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

2. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

Normal EG is Goodyear welted. I’m not sure about their Top Drawer shoes though. Hand welting is normally found on bespoke shoes with s handful of exceptions (St Crispin do hand welting I believe for all of their shoes).

3. papado

papado Senior Member

I believe that neither AC nor EG TD shoes are hand-welted. There's always rumors they are handwelt, but I think in reality they're just goodyear welted ED TD shoes for a less crazy price RTW (I can only assume ED TD is something like $1800+ US once you factor in MTO+TD upcharge?).

The AC's look amazing though; so tempted to pick one up if i can find a place where I can try 'em on...

4. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

All English rtw I can think of are gw, few hw in that price range (1.5k) except StC, some Italian (AM and a few) do have hw at that price point (AM has hw for probably as low as 1k?) then of course there is vass and once you go to 2k probably lots of Japanese hw option

5. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

@jonathanS Thanks for the detailed response.

Now, can I throw St. Crispins into the proverbial ring?

Can anyone comment on AC vs St. Crispins

Alan Bee

6. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

I stand corrected.

I suppose the one drawback to AC is that they don't have a lot of variation / customization options.

7. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

AC gents,

On AC Churchill imitation lace ups.

40E15A81-FFA6-4B10-8956-922FD65F75F9.png 5EBF4D2E-3C4D-46B8-A1BB-8D31A2C553B7.jpeg

Does anyone share my feeling that there’s way too much going on with this shoe in any color other than black. Which itself (black) is a tad uninteresting.

Hard as I try, I’m just having trouble coming around the shoe. I wonder if seeing it in person might change my opinion. But it just looks too much particularly in antique bourbon or the higher browns.

I much prefer the simplicity of the Nagakawa or Bulow bootie.

Alan Bee

8. WilYa

WilYa Senior Member

I quite agree. I will leave out the brogueing when going with a different colour.

9. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

I think a navy in Churchill would be great. My sense is the museum on that is too much.

I hesitate recommending this blog but Simon crompton had some interesting thoughts re st. C vs the English shoes.

I’ve considered getting st c but I prefer a chiseled last & have never been a fan of st c’s chiseled last. Ive put a pause on buying shoes for now, preferring to build out my wardrobe.

10. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

@jonathanS

"Ive put a pause on buying shoes for now, preferring to build out my wardrobe."

Interestingly, I did it the other way. Now trying to find the optimal shoe portfolio (not "collection") to complement it.

Anyone else on St. Crispin vs. AC??

Alan Bee

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

11. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

Well, you see, I was focused on losing weight! I reasoned feet dont change much (and if they change, its within the margin of error, such that I could pieces to perfect the fit). Plus, an ill-fitting shoe looks fine from the outside, whereas ill-fitting tailoring does not.

I hope to eventually go back to shoes and go bespoke.

12. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

Ill fitting shoes will create pain and damage your feet over time, where clothes won’t.

13. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

A bit more than a handful. Vass is hand welted. As are Bonafe and Zonkey Boot.

14. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

So 4 makers so far... Still just a handful!!!

15. kevinsvindland

kevinsvindland Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

Top Drawer is not handwelted either.
    But the level of finish is even higher that ordinairy EG. Like the beveled waist, and the leather strip on top of the wooden shank, for even more comfort.
    The finest leathers that come in from the tanneries are allocated to the TD production. And TD shoes spend a little more time in the finishing room.

Saint Crispin's are hand welted.