1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

George Cleverley Anthony Cleverley Models

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Maverick972, Oct 9, 2010.

1. AriG

AriG Senior Member

I might be special, but my AC are a half size down from EG888 and fit just the same. I think I posted some comparison pictures in other thread. GG (all MH71) and AC I wear the same size. All same (E) width fwiw.

2. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

@AriG

Thanks for the prompt response. I wear 11.5/12E in EG 888, a bit roomy but not enough to size down as I’m sensitive to length.

I also wear GG DG70 11.5E, also slightly roomy but I wear orthotics and that seems just fine.

The question is do I go down to an 11E for the AC or stick with 11.5E?

Alan Bee

3. AriG

AriG Senior Member

I would give the 11.5 a try first in that case

4. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

My two AC pairs I'd say slot between EG and G&G in terms of width, and fairly comparable in terms of length. I take UK 9 in all three, save that I have to go up to F width for G&G which I find too narrow in standard E width.

[​IMG]

5. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

I’m an 8uk in the 888, and wear 7.5uk in AC.

6. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior Member

8 1/2 GG, 8 EG 888, 8 AC - the slip-ons fit better than the lace-up for me though - it hugs my foot better. The lace-ups have quite a short and constricted toe, at least compared to the width at ball joint. I`d recommend a try-on in person.

7. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

@daizawaguy

Could you pls post a picture of each? I recall seeing you in your Bulow and Nakagawa (Suede) somewhere but I can’t find the thread now.

Would you consider a half size up for the lace ups then to 8.5? (your GG size)

Alan Bee

8. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

I'd definitely go for 11E, in that case. I'll take a photo of 11.5 G&G TG73 and 11E AC later.

9. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

I tried my best to capture the shoes and the similarities. They're really close. The Black cap toe shoes are size 11 AC; the Burgundy Wholecuts are 11.5 TG73

IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1571.JPG IMG_1572.JPG IMG_1573.JPG IMG_1574.JPG IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1576.JPG IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1578.JPG IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1580.JPG IMG_1581.JPG IMG_1582.JPG IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1585.JPG IMG_1586.JPG IMG_1587.JPG IMG_1588.JPG IMG_1589.JPG

10. AriG

AriG Senior Member

yeah, G&G are def. shorter in same size ... but in my case that is not relevant as G&G have higher instep at the same time. So def. cannot size down to AC. He will just have to try. The fact he has both EG and G&G in 11.5 and describes them as roomy but fine makes me doubt he'll be happy with the 11 AC but no one can know ...

11. othertravel

Any chance you can try them on first?

Because I’m an 8uk in EG, I tried the same in AC and ITV was a bit too big. Sizing down half a size worked.

12. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

@othertravel

I live at least 5,000 miles from any retailer so no dice there.

Based on @jonathanS pictures, I think I'll take my chances with 11E. It appears we are both same size.

My EG's in 11.5 as I said are roomy by choice because I wear orthotics. In fact I wear EG 888E and 202D both 11,5

I have two profiles of orthotics (thick and slim). I deploy them based on the particular shoe Im wearing (dress shoes or casual boots which I prefer more roomy and can use the laces to ensure a close fit around my narrow heels).

I don't mind a close fit as my foot is flat and narrow. It is the length that bothers me (cramped toes) but it appears the AC 11E and GG 11.5E are almost same length.

In fact, a lower instep would be welcome as the instep on my DG70 GG is a tad high.

Really appreciate all the prompt answers.

Last question: I've been an EG guy for 15 years and only recently ventured out (GG). Any particular comments comparing AC to GG or EG?

Alan Bee

13. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

I like cleverleys over g&g & eg.

Obviously you’re opinion of the shoes will largely be determined by how well the last fits your feet & that’s a personal thing. But I found cleverleys were lighter (and more comfortable) than g&g / eg.

Not to say gaziano or green aren’t comfortable.

The heel on the cleverleys is also more shaped than gaziano or green (again, not saying the others aren’t shaped).

I believe Anthony cleverleys are handwelted vs machine welted.

Oh, and one other odd thing about cleverleys (I’m not sure why this is, perhaps something to do with the handwelted nature) I have 2 pairs of size 11 ACs: both when photographed next to each other look the same; both are the same size; both fit comfortably; but, the lasted shoe trees are not interchangeable AND simply won’t fit the other shoe. Strangest thing ever and I cannot explain it. In fact, both shoes are the bodie model. One is black one is museum calf brown.

14. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior Member

One final thought: I’d say Anthony cleverley is more comparable to g&g deco or Edward green top drawer than the mainline eg/gg. I don’t have a lot of experience with top drawer or deco but I’m making that judgment from photos.

15. othertravel

Is EG handwelted? They make AC shoes.