Genuine Thomas Pink?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mac_The_Knife, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Mac_The_Knife

Mac_The_Knife New Member

Hiya

Does anyone know ways to tell a genuine Thomas Pink shirt from any fakes that maybe out there?

Cheers

MTK

2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

From what I've heard, they're akin to Charles Tyrwhitt shirts - i.e., not very special.

3. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

The last time I was in a Thomas Pink shop a few months ago, most of the shirts were not 'made in England' anymore. I'm sure if I looked around the outlet shops here in Hong Kong, I'd probably find some - just as I can find Burberry London (!), Abercrombie and Fitch, Polo etc.

I think the best thing to say about Pink shirts is that they're reasonable value in the sales.

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

As Pink itself is an inferior copy of a real Jermyn Street shirt, I'd avoid. Look for Hilditch & Key, Budd, Turnbull & Asser, New & Lingwood or Harvie & Hudson. Pink quality is no better than Charles Tyrwhitt, which is always on sale anyway, or TM Lewin.

5. Mac_The_Knife

Mac_The_Knife New Member

Thanks for your replies, I didn't realise who produced the real great shirts....

but I do now !

Cheers

MTK

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

I believe they switched production to Morrocco about 2 years ago.

7. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I've heard mixed things about T&A on here.

8. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Hiya

Does anyone know ways to tell a genuine Thomas Pink shirt from any fakes that maybe out there?

Cheers

MTK

Gawd, someone is counterfeiting Thomas Pink shirts? Is there no end to man's fiendishness?

I have a Pink shirt from like 1999 which ive worn maybe 4 times. It feels like wearing slightly scratchy, thin toilet paper, so if their quality has further descended then definitely head to the makes RJMan listed for you. I have Harvie & Hudson, Turnbull and Hilditch & Key rtw and theyre all respectable.

The Hilditch collars are too low for me but I prefer their rtw ones to their mtm program which was a true di-sahs-ter for me. Seems like the best bargains are from Harvie and Hudson directly http://harvieandhudson.com/ and getting Hilditch from Bromleys site in the UK. Although the Bromley's site offers hilditch at less of a bargain now than I seem to remember. I like the Harvie design better, though the fit is a bit looser, the collars are grander and the cuffs larger, stiffer and richer looking.

New and Lingwoods shirts are nice as well. Prowse and hargood I dont know much about but their Jumbo stripe shirt intrigues me. Anyone ever try them?http://www.prowseandhargood.com/prod...ripe-shirt.htm

9. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

There's a swath of pink fabric sewn into the gusset on Pink shirts. Look for that fabric in the gusset.

10. Minstrel

Minstrel Member

There's a swath of pink fabric sewn into the gusset on Pink shirts. Look for that fabric in the gusset.

Not on all of them.

11. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

12. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Gawd, someone is counterfeiting Thomas Pink shirts? Is there no end to man's fiendishness?

Thanks FNB. That was laugh-out-loud funny.

13. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

14. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior member

I bought a few Pink shirts at their summer sale this year and was disappointed. As they expand more and more (you can now find them in some Marshall Fields stores) their qualilty is deteriorating. I believe some of their stuff is made in Morocco but most is still done in Ireland. I bought a new shirt from them and the cuff buttons were falling off in the store! (They fixed it at no charge.) I got a nice multicolored mini-check shirt for $40 (original $160) but I would not buy Pink again, or at least not unless it was marked down to this level or better.

15. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Thanks FNB. That was laugh-out-loud funny.

Thanks poster formerly known as Pussycat's boyfriend but I am afraid counterfeiting isnt funny. We must combat this evil scourge or it might lead to knocking off gold toe socks and donald trump collection ties and we all know where that'll lead don't we?