1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Genuine alligator strap for watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Jun 8, 2005.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

The time has come to change the strap on my favorite watch. There is currently a black leather croco-grain leather strap on it (this is the strap that the store had put on it). I'm going to go with a dark brown strap on it this time. I can get either a plain calf or a croco-grain calf strap for about $25. I can get a genuin alligator skin strap for $75. What are the benefits to spending this extra $50?

2. Murrah

Murrah Member

I would spend the extra money (heck, it's not my money). I've found that the croc-grain calf bands are stiff and the real croc has much more flexibility...wears easier.

3. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Distinguished Member

JN3, I feel good that I may be helpful to you. You have answered many queries of mine. Take a look at http://www.watchbandsbyfox.com/ for straps. Pretty good prices and colours. -

4. ATM

ATM Senior Member

I think the real thing looks better. Plus, it's real.

I wouldn't get a calf with the croco pattern. It's as if it's trying to be something it's not.

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I agree with earnest's "croc is for gangster" mentality. The ostrich on that site looks very lush though.

6. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

JN3- What type of watch are you adding a strap? If it's a dress watch of decent quality, I would opt for croc over croco-calf--the same rule for shoes applies to straps. Browns, especially lighter honey-colored straps, really demonstrate the difference between croc and embossed calf. Even matte blacks, which I added to my own sport watch, look noticeable different with the real thing. That being said, there are a few convincing croco-calf straps on the market, but those will run around $30-40 even at discount. My advice would be to buy a plain brown, oiled calfskin strap and use the savings to add a S/S deployant if you don't already have one. Way more comfortable than a stock buckle, and you're virtually guaranteed not to drop your timepiece.

7. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

It's a 1952 Omega. Not sure of the style name. Plain, stainless steel case, with a champagne, plain face. It's a versatile watch, albeit definitely not a sport watch. Very plain and understated.

It has the original buckle, so I don't want to go with a S/S deployant clasp -- and I actually find the regular buckle more comfortable than a deployant. I'll look into the regular oiled calf as well.

8. countdemoney

countdemoney Distinguished Member

JN3,

Sounds like a great classic watch.

I agree with ATM, go with the real thing, calf or croc.

Fake croc is . . . fake.

I'm a big fan of the plain calf, and think it has a very nice look. If I saw it on someone, I'd view them as being sensible about their watch strap purchase. After all, the strap is gonna go out in 6 months to a year, so why drop the extra money?

If I saw the real croc, I'd be impressed with the persons taste and dedication to their watch.

Of course, if you get the illness, you can buy an inexpensive tool and switch your straps on your own - putting the real croc on for events, and the calf for daily wear.

9. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

The benefit = having a croco strap.

Generally last longer and looks better.

But a $ 75 croco is not a good strap.

The average price for a nice strap is around $150.

10. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

(johnnynorman3 @ June 08 2005,16:24) The time has come to change the strap on my favorite watch. Â There is currently a black leather croco-grain leather strap on it (this is the strap that the store had put on it). Â I'm going to go with a dark brown strap on it this time. Â I can get either a plain calf or a croco-grain calf strap for about $25. Â I can get a genuin alligator skin strap for $75. Â What are the benefits to spending this extra $50?
    The benefit = having a croco strap. Generally last longer and looks better. But a $ 75 croco is not a good strap. The average price for a nice strap is around $150.
    What sort of people do you reckon buy croco? (I feel a haiku coming on....)