GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CAPPELLI) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by steveyoo1983, Jun 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:My lone pair of Alden shell shoes spot as well - though maybe they clean up a bit more easily. I think it's just the nature of the beast with shell. It hasn't really limited my appreciation of and desire for the material - just limited the wearing opportunities to drier weather or else acceptance that foul weather wear will require some cleanup effort.. My navy shell wholecuts see a whole lot of wear year round. Which reminds me of what I really like about Carmina - you can get shell in almost any colour you want, in almost any style you want inside of a few months. With Alden, anything other than black or colour 8 and you get a great big whining runaround about how "rare" such colours are. My goal, for lack of a better expression, is a shoe rotation that exempifies quality and diversity. Diversity of styles, colours and materials. Shell will always have a place with me. It doesn't pour rain every day. Now, if I lived in Seattle, I may have a different opinion. ;-) I'm already in for the Frankenstitch boot in burgundy shell, else I'd happily join the saddle version here. My two eyelet derby in saddle shell that I got from Gentlemens Footwear is just stunning. I can't wait to see how it turns out in a boot, and feel certain that the MTO participants will be well pleased. In fact, I bet that if Steve ordered an extra pair in a UK 9 they'd almost certainly find a home. ;-)

2. steveyoo1983

steveyoo1983 Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

3. steveyoo1983

steveyoo1983 Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Here are some updates!

#1 Frankenstitch boots (Oscar Last) in Saddle Shell (Sole TBA) - 3 confirmed interest (just need 3 more!)
    [​IMG]

#2 Plain toe string tie loafer in Tobacco Suede (Uetam) - 3 interests
    [​IMG]

#3 Navy Shell wholecut in Rain Last - 4 interests!
    [​IMG]

#4 Navy Calf Jodhpur in Rain - 3 interests

4. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Saddle shell Frankenstitch??? Noooo. I need to unsubscribe from this thread!!

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Hey Steve - basically Rain, Inca and Soller (and possibly Detroit) are the only lasts that work for in an 8.5 in standard width. While there is no bright dividingline, these fall in the "wide fitting" category for Carmian. For the more standard width Robert, Oscar and Forest, I wear a 9 (or a wide fit 8.5 in Forest). Particularly in a boot, a bit on the large side is far better than the reverse.

6. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Very fair point. If I lived with the daily threat of rain, it would would make it harder to work shell into the rotation as often as I would like.

8. konda

konda Senior member

I use Saphir Hiver-Winter, let dry and put a small coat of renovateur on. Works very well.

9. Burton

Burton Senior member

Come on, two more interests in the Navy wholecut. Two more.... Who is going to join us?????

10. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

What about the navy calf jodhpur? Make that happen!

11. mp1472

mp1472 Senior member

make it a loafer and im in !!!! ^_^

12. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

What is hiver-winter?

13. konda

konda Senior member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

14. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Ah very cool, thanks. So it removes the spots? I find the spots to look almost raised from the surface of the leather initially.

15. konda

konda Senior member

Yep removes spots pretty effectively. But it has some sort of dissolvent/soap in it so you need to re-apply polish on calf shoes or use renovateur or cordovan cream on shell shoes. What I do on shell is I dip a cotton pad in the hiver-winter, wipe the stained area, let dry, wipe with a damp cloth (to remove any residual hiver-winter) , let dry, apply renoveteur, let dry, polish with stockings.

So it's as much of a PITA process as anything else but the stains are gone.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014