• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CROCKETT & JONES) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And to comment on Mimos point it is true that leather can withstand the elements extremely well. But the issue I have had with leather is walking out of the elements into a beautifully tiled or waxed floor where it becomes as if I'm walking on ice. I'm on a train everyday and waiting for the train especially with the weather coming can cause my shoes to get wet and unfortunately they wouldn't dry by the time I got to work. Hence my reason for some sort of rubberized sole whether it be dainite or tomir.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
At any rate, it looks like this GTMO is drumming up a lot of interest, enough to satisfy 2 different GTMO's, so Steve can put together one order with the Dainite sole and the other with the leather sole. Everyone is happy.

Really? What are the minimum numbers?

The thing is, I don't think there's actually any disagreement of principle here. But as Justin put it, with winter coming, and the robust grain leather chosen, it seems to be conceived as a "****-kicker" disguised as a dress shoe. Me, I'm just looking for a dress shoe with that interesting texture. No **** needing to be kicked. If I want to kick **** in a suit, I'd rather have a boot or a double-soled gunboat or something.

Anyway, yeah, so really? Two options, if there are enough takers, and maybe default back to Dainite if there aren't?

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: A ****-kicker disguised as a dress shoe...honestly can't think of a better description haha. Yes, that's exactly what I"m looking for. The minimum order is 6 pairs. Steve mentioned that he got 8 or 9 interests via PM and this thread. Not sure if he was counting the people who merely stuck their heads in the thread and commented or were on the fence regarding the sole, but Steve said he'd probably close this GMTO by the end of the month. Plenty of time to get 3 or 4 more guys in for the full dozen.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find leather soles slippery in the wet - particularly on wet tiles when you transition indoors. It is useless on ice and gets positively chewed up by rock salted sidewalks. Not an all weather choice in my books.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I am not a leather fan for weather, I will point out that it does offer its fair share of options that Dainite does not.

One can always put a vibram sole on top. Either a topy style or a more aggressive, yet low profile, lug style. You won't have the flexibility or true waterpoof nature of a dainite, but it would be pretty damn close.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find leather soles slippery in the wet - particularly on wet tiles when you transition indoors. It is useless on ice and gets positively chewed up by rock salted sidewalks. Not an all weather choice in my books.

But, if we are all being honest, Dainite is not a great snow and ice sole either. Yes. Dainite is good in a sustained downpour but it is not (when wet) better on marble or tile than leather. SF is responsible for the plague which is Dainite. It is gospel here that Dainite is a great poor weather sole. Like many things SF, we need not let the facts get in the way of the pictures.

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But, if we are all being honest, Dainite is not a great snow and ice sole either. Yes. Dainite is good in a sustained downpour but it is not (when wet) better on marble or tile than leather. SF is responsible for the plague which is Dainite. It is gospel here that Dainite is a great poor weather sole. Like many things SF, we need not let the facts get in the way of the pictures.
Really? Cause I see Dainite consistently take a pounding on here for precisely the reasoning you've stated. I actually knew of, and liked, Dainite long before I joined SF and SF has made me a little less enthusiastic about it -- though I still do like it and find it performs well enough (for me) in most conditions.

Not trying to be contrarian - just think YMMV with this.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather also survives perfectly well in wet weather. Especially when it belongs to iGent darlings who have twenty pairs of shoes in regular rotation and gets tried on trees thoroughly between uses. (I know how many of you are thinking "only twenty?", with horrified frowns on your carefully moisturised foreheads - me too).

Personally I can't abide those two-part soles in any form. And I'd only have gone for this shoe with all leather, as it's a dress shoe style to me, not a country brogue - despite the interesting texture. I think it would be fine on a double sole, with or without Dainite, and a storm welt, if it were a derby or even just a full brogue, perhaps with eyelets or whatever. But as it is, with the chiseled last, oxford structure and restrained punched captoe, I find the storm welt and plastic incongruous: it's not about the depth of the sole alone, it's the function: given that leather performs very well as an all-weather sole, I always think of non-breathing plastic substitutes as for rough-handling boots and the like only, at the other end of the spectrum.

Anyway, GMTOs are a democracy. I'll go sit in the corner with the Greens and the Communists.

I wasn't going to say anything...but now that you've brought it out into the open, Mimo, can I please just say that I agree with you absolutely, and all these namby-pamby gaylords having issues with leather soles just deserve a damn good thrashing.

Anyway, seems there's not a lot of love for Tomir, so I'll go with slim Dainite if necessary.

But I wonder whether a separate group MTO with leather sole might fly? All those interested, hands UP!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Thanks for taking up the challenge, Steve! Looks like we might yet be able to double up for the mutual benefit of traditionalists and foul weather merchants. :)

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a few Dainite-soled shoes and boots and they serve me very well in the ice and snow of winter. Far better than leather, that's for sure. On wet tile, IME, a crepe soles rule all. But Dainite still beats out leather. And the durability factor is not even close between the two.

I love my leather-soled dress shoes and feel the sole material well compliments the mission statement there. But I don't wear dress shoes in the snow. If selecting the right tool for the job is "namby-pamby" then I can live with that.
smile.gif

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
You get a pass for living in Mordor. ;)

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a few Dainite-soled shoes and boots and they serve me very well in the ice and snow of winter.  Far better than leather, that's for sure.  On wet tile, IME, a crepe soles rule all.  But Dainite still beats out leather.  And the durability factor is not even close between the two.

I love my leather-soled dress shoes and feel the sole material well compliments the mission statement there.  But I don't wear dress shoes in the snow.  If selecting the right tool for the job is "namby-pamby" then I can live with that. :)  

We can agree to disagree on Dainite. I live in Chicago and I think it is awful for snow and ice. It is fine for rain, but I can skate on Dainite. In my mind, if you want good performance in snow, get some galoshes or a lug sole. I have said my piece on this and will say no more.

For the record, I didn't use the term "namby-pamby." That part of your response may not have been directed at me, but wanted to make it clear. Best to everyone.

Last edited:

diglett

Reaction score
We can agree to disagree on Dainite. I live in Chicago and I think it is awful for snow and ice. It is fine for rain, but I can skate on Dainite. In my mind, if you want good performance in snow, get some galoshes or a lug sole. I have said my piece on this and will say no more.
My thoughts exactly. I shamelessly pull on my bright orange SWIMs when the weather gets really nasty; I used to think of galoshes as a resignation that your feet won't look good, but quite a few people have complimented my overshoes, if not for the form then for the function.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics